Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:31 PM

Default looking for help/advice to improve my game

i come from a full ring limit back ground. I've been trying to learn NL, but for some reason, i'm just not getting something very important and i just keep losing money.

Now i'm nearly exactly at expectation, as a NL poker loser.

i'm looking for some advice on my game from stats, pointed in the direction of something i can learn from, and/or maybe if someone is willing to sweat me, that'd be cool too.

i've watched all the brian townsends/brystmar vids read infinite hands on here, read the http://www.pr0crast.com/2+2.NL.Anthology.v1.htm
most of it anyway, a lot of sections i've read and re-read.

i have PT and pokerev, below is some links up to current. i have 10k hands, i realize this is a small sample size but i'm sort of at a platue... i'm not sure what i need to be adjusting post flop but something pretty big needs to change, or maybe a few smaller things.

here is my poker tracker stats:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...oCrime/PTS.jpg

PokerEV game analysis graph:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...aphwithbox.jpg

PokerEV Luck graph:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c.../GraphLuck.jpg

PokerEV analysis graph:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...e/analysis.jpg

my AIM name is TmoneyMech.

thanks.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Re: looking for help/advice to improve my game

lol i bet u 10 bucks i can figure out ur sn
Old 10-05-2007, 09:37 PM

lol, yea maybe the main one. i dont use that guy anymore, so if ur gonna figure one out, figure out the aliases =P... i'm not even sure why i bleeped it out =)

btw, you know you are a poker pro when:
you have the time to look through and try and put together the letters to random guys SN =P.

thx for stoping by
Old 10-05-2007, 09:41 PM

Stats are only one piece of evidence. Go back in PT and look at the big pots you've played. How did the money get in? How often were you ahead? Were you pushing the action, or just calling off with top pair?
Old 10-05-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stats are only one piece of evidence. Go back in PT and look at the big pots you've played. How did the money get in? How often were you ahead? Were you pushing the action, or just calling off with top pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the time, with all-ins or on the showdown, i'm winning. ya, know... or at least get my money in while i'm ahead. i know i'm still new at the NL as a whole, but i think my game is suffering in the smaller pots, the ones that are not going to show down.
i have been going over hands, the big winners, and losers, also the smaller 2-4$ pots. i'm doing that now actually =)
Old 10-05-2007, 10:21 PM

Go to PT, click on "position stats" tab, and take a screen shots of those up top.

My guess is that you are losing more money than you should from the blinds, because I think your fold to steal is too low.

I will also probably get flamed for this, but I think you are too aggro on turn & river. You are playing 10NL, not 10KNL. Townsend videos are great, but I think you should understand why he does some of the stuff he does rather than try to directly mimic. I mean, 3+ turn & river AF at 10NL seems a bit too high. Those factors should become higher as you move up stakes, and perhaps for like 100NL those would be ideal, but at 10NL, you are simply not going to bluff anyone off top pair. You aren't going to get them to make a big laydown. For example, say you have ATC, you raise PF, c/c flop J high flop, and then CRAI on turn. That tells me your hand is uber strong, and a lot of TAGs and regulars will fold to your hand there, because of Baluga theorem, or because they know their top pair with AJ is beat enough times where it's -EV for them to call. You are getting called there all the time at 10NL, and 25NL even. Concentrate less on trying to mimic townsend, and learn to value bet your hands first. If this is your first time playing NL, that AF is too high. Start low, valuebet when you are sure you are ahead. Never bluff. Never make fancy plays. Just learn to play straight forward ABC poker. Put in money when you are ahead, fold when you are behind. Taht's it. And as you become a winning player, start opening up & adding aggression more and more in spots you will then know are good.

Also, 10K hands is a tiny sample size. Keep grinding.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go to PT, click on "position stats" tab, and take a screen shots of those up top.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...e/posstats.jpg

there ya go. you are familier with brystmar's vids as well? these are mostly what i've been going by, his SSNL tutorial, and intro into lag. i've watched both players, and townsend (as you said) seems like he makes some plays that are too fancy for what lvl my game is on, and for the most part isnt needed @ my limit.

i've tightn up UTG and MP, and loosed up in the CO and button, open raising with a more large range of hands.
i've also stopped over valuing pps from the SB to button raises.
with my limit back ground, i've very used to people bumping it up on the button with absolute trash, then me, with a decent hand three betting them. with NL, for me, at this point in time, i've cut way down on defending my SB to a open button raise with my marginal hands unless i have a solid read on the raiser. i dont play well enough post flop yet.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:07 AM

Yes, as I predicted, and as shown, problem lies in blinds. Your BB loss stat is meh, but the SB is definitely too high.

Actually, they are both too high. Just tighten up from the blinds a lot. Start out by playing nothing but hands you'd play UTG with, so pocket pairs, AQs+, and 3bet most of these except for the smaller and mid PPs. These should eventually be 3bet too, but just for starters, either call or fold depending on stack sizes & villain aggro.

I don't even know who brystmar is to be honest. I'm a CR member and have seen a number of videos, lots of aba ones, lots of gp ones, lots of just regular unknown 100K grinders like sgt peppers and whomever.

I recommend the gp videos actually if you are just starting out, because he stresses position like nothing else. Like, get his 6max videos in order, starting from the 1st one. This is assuming you are a CR member. Otherwise, I guess you are finding other sources for aba videos, and best of luck with that.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:30 AM

Okey Im pretty sure what are You doing wrong.
That's 10NL and Your aggro at turn/river is just too high. Maybe at 50NL people will give You respect with Your monster draws, TPTK, set etc etc. But at 10NL PEOPLE PLAY WITH WHAT THEY HAVE. If You see someone who is reraising You at the flop and You have a TPTK. Just call it and reev turn. Don't push it all-in? He has a set. IT'S 10 NL FOR GOD SAKE. Dont take it so aggro with draws: "play Your draws like if You have a set when You think he has overcards only" - I know that sentence but IT DOESNT WORK ON uNL. trust me - I've been there when You are now. Second thing You do wrong and it's connected with the first one - You don't believe people. You just call their value bets on river. You got pair of aces with weak kicker and You got check-raised on turn, and You even call the vbet on river. Im pretty sure that happened to You more then once in those 10k hands.

Ok this is it from me.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:01 AM

yea bud, i'm a member. i'll check it out. thanks
Closed Thread