Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Weird/funny coincidences in your life

For some reason I am amused by such stories and am hoping ElD'ers would have some slightly better stories than just your run-of-the-mill ones like "I dreamt 4-6-7 on the pick 3 lottery, went and played it...and it won!!!" or, "I was in the middle of Paris and I randomly bumped into some good friend of mine from NY."

This is also an excuse to tell my favorite one which really doesn't involve me but at least it's my family.

--

In early 1970s my Dad makes a scientific discovery regarding the relationship of the production of Glutathione Peroxidase in the livers of mammals solely due to intake of Selenium.
Something like that anyway. The discovery was in various science publications. look up 'Rotruck Selenium Glutathione' on google for more.

My Dad wasn't exactly world-famous for his scientific contribution/discovery but it did get him some limited notoriety in the field I guess.

Anyway, fast-forward 25 or so years and my sister is taking her first crack at the board-exam to become a veterinarian.
Evidently this is an incredibly tense time and I think most people fail on their first shot at it and have to wait 6 months just to get to take it again.
Everyone is nervous and it's a very tense atmosphere.

They open the booklets and the very first question asks what nutrient has been determined to be solely responsible for the production of Glutathione Peroxidase in mammals.
My sister literally LOL'ed in the middle of the big exam room (everyone turned and looked at her like she must have just lost her mind) because the first question on this exam was her own Dad's rather obscure scientific-discovery.

Weird.

She naturally took this as some sort of sign that she would do just fine and, in fact, she did pass.

Okay, so this probably isn't the weirdest that you guys can come up with but I thought I'd get the ball rolling.