Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Math Talent, Asperger\'s Syndrome,\"Social Skills\"

[ QUOTE ]
apparently i offended like half the people in the lab

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i don't think i am autistic because i dont seem to have any gaping social problems

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't be so sure.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
apparently i offended like half the people in the lab

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i don't think i am autistic because i dont seem to have any gaping social problems

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't be so sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

they were all at least 12-15 years older than me and most not from united states, so small sample size etc.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:42 PM

Here are a couple of articles from a AS website :

What is AS?

Autism, genious, and greatness
Old 04-04-2007, 01:56 PM

Those articles are typical. Superficial, repeating the same careless confusion between cause and effect. Most Asperger behaviour arises as a way of coping with a small number of very specific neurological faults (regarding episodic memory, as I said). Saying those common traits are Aspergers really bothers me.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:01 PM

And saying Einstein was autistic really bothers me too. Autistics should be above propaganda - if you believe their propaganda. They should at least know they're pish at it.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:33 PM

I wonder why being criticized for cuffs would bother David.

Perhaps relative to the love he got from his home/family, the students appeared more harsh. Maybe his cliques were rougher...

I was quite field independent, if people laughed at me it was usually because of race or something I couldn't control, and I got into the habit early of not caring or valuing what silly people thought.

I stored pheromones to attract female humans in my cuffs, BTW.

Very effective.

Some true anecdotes about Asberger's people I knew:

One adolescent seemed to be accurately diagnosed but I was told by a reliable source that a sex change seemed to make almost all her symptoms either disappear or make her much closer to normal.

A poker player I know seems to be the best adjusted autistic person I know (I realize this isn't Asbergers).

His dad is well off and I imagine he got the best treatment money could buy.

He tends to ramble a bit and doesn't pick up on cues as to whether others are interested in what he's saying, nor does he seem to care much about that... lol. I try to help him ... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2007, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you cannot argue that bathing is more 'logical' than saying 'god bless you' when someone sneezes.

[/ QUOTE ]

if your senses work, you can. after not showering for a week, you will probably be very uncomfortable. simple logic can help a non-retard realize that showering will get rid of the odor and general filth.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
err, surely u noticed all the cool kids were dressed more stylishly than their social 'inferiors'? your attire demonstrates your degree of wealth and, more importantly, your relative degree of mastery over the culture you share w/your coevals. it is very important even in gr 5 and esp in gr 9.

unlikely you'll be a direct target unless you're someone who doesn't realise where they 'belong' on the totem. if you've misassessed your social value you will be ridiculed, often mercilessly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously can't tell you who dressed nicer than me or worse than me when I was in grade 5. Around grade 8 and 9 maybe, for sure in grade 10. Some people were cleaner than others tho. I remember smelly kids getting teased.

I think we all remember different things selectively I am sure some kids thought about clothing at that age. I really find it hard to believe guys did tho. All the guys I knew just liked playing football, baseball ect. I guess that was how we set our pecking order. We even played with the smelly kids they were normally the best ones. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i knew a lot of kids in school that had crappy clothes. some got teased, while others didn't. it really had more to do with whether or not they were cool. if people don't like you, they will tease with whatever they can.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:58 AM

Asking someone how they are does not have to be an artificial behavior. Whether someone cares or not about how the people around them are doing has little to do with their math skills.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and apparently Isaac Newton, perhaps the most intelligent man in human history in terms of real accomplishment, died a virgin.

[/ QUOTE ]

holy crap. i didn't know that. how do you know he wasn't just a closet homosexual who hid it well? i imagine that somebody so highly successful would have had some poon thrown his way, even if he was a total [censored]. either way, thats a huge waste of good genes. perhaps telling uber-nerds that its their responsibility to replenish the earth with smart people (and save us all from future bushes) will properly motivate them to become more social.