Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Just how young (and why) are the top players online?

40 year old = grown up with games in the woods (don't know how you yanks call it exactly, i mean that nature thing...) First computer contact in the office, has no clue

35 year old = grown up smoking joints, first computer contact PANG! in the gambling hall at age 13

30 year old = grown up smoking joints and doing E, first comuter contact at age 8, MS Windows 3.1, MS Flight Simulator (save donkey kong)

25 year old = grown up seeing his older brother get [censored] up on Grass and E, playing NES/SNES/PS1, first computer contact at 3, watching all those funky colors on that brand new SVGA-Monitor

20 year old = grown up in the nineties (need i say more) first computer contact at age 1,5 when his mother has had enough and lets him play with daddys playstation...

now why do you think younger players are the better multitablers?

ooh...and i think it's obvious to which age group i belong...

foldmasta, your favourite swissdonk [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2007, 05:28 PM

wow you guys are way off. 25-30 is not old and this age range grew up with the internet and were the seminal online players. im 26 and was introduced to poker by friends in college who were 4-5 yrs older than me. "hey what are u guys doin on that puter?" "pokerrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!" "wowowow, sign me up i got fitty!!!!!!!!!!"

op has a great point. why are the early 20 somethings so successful, while the 30 yr olds, who should have more experience at online play, have fallen by the wayside?
Old 07-20-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the 25-28ish y.o. people who got into poker 5+ years ago are more likely to be LHE players.

[/ QUOTE ]

super good point.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:13 PM

Mental capacity is certainly not the main reason. Kasparov was clearly the strongest chess player in the world after his 40th birthday.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mental capacity is certainly not the main reason. Kasparov was clearly the strongest chess player in the world after his 40th birthday.

[/ QUOTE ]

c'mon - kasparov studied for hours and hours a day on chess, not even top poker players do that

also kasparov studied chess from a very young age - the later you get into online poker the more difficult it is to play multiple tables
Old 07-20-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

c'mon - kasparov studied for hours and hours a day on chess, not even top poker players do that

also kasparov studied chess from a very young age - the later you get into online poker the more difficult it is to play multiple tables

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah like his younger competitors didn't devote similar or greater amount of time studying chess. From what I've heard he studied and played the game much less in his later active years, yet he had no problems dominating in the same manner throughout his 20+ year career as nr1.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:42 PM

whatever happened to Dustin Dirkson?
Old 07-20-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah like his younger competitors didn't devote similar or greater amount of time studying chess. From what I've heard he studied and played the game much less in his later active years, yet he had no problems dominating in the same manner throughout his 20+ year career as nr1.

[/ QUOTE ]

because he was a phenomenal chess player and #1 in the world by all accounts

you couldn't say that about any poker player - no poker player is #1 in the world, poker is too high variance a game
Old 07-20-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok i surrender you have changed my mind with your supreme poker knowledge and through the power of debate.

Is that what u wanted to hear?

You honestly have no clue

[/ QUOTE ]

So you know what PA's range would have been, I take it? What would his range have been in that spot? And did he bet within that range? Would his range have include Ace rag?

If so, DB took a risk but he did have the better hand, and it held up.

You'll eventually understand, kid, when you grow up to be a man. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Now out of respect for the threadstarter, I'm bowing out of this discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF is this?

What is that you don't understand when we say it was a terrible play? Yes, we understand that if PA had Ax Doyle is a small favorite (coin flip). The problem is that he called himself allin instead of pushing where he gets some FE. You are totally clueless obv.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Otherwise, pockets 3's is 68% favored to win over Ace rag.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it isn't. It is a 68 % favorite over A2.