Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2006, 12:30 AM

Default 25+2 still a ways from money, low M spots

350 started about 100 players left, I still am trying to figure out how long I can let my M get and what spots I can push certain hands in, and what spots I have to call in others.

Hand 1: Blinds 100-200 , I have 2,500, folded to me 4th in with QJo, 8 or 9 handed table, can I push here? Table is normal mix of loose bad and players, most pots have had people shoving or taking it down with a raise.

Hand 2: 100-200 about to be 150-300, I have 2400 in SB with ATo, big stack minraises second in, in general he just limps pots and makes weak bets or calls down, he was raising bigger much earlier in the tourney but hasnt raised in a while. Do you pretty much have to shove this?

Thanks guys.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:14 AM

Default Re: 25+2 still a ways from money, low M spots

It'd be good to have other stack sizes behind you here, but here's my quick opinion.

Hand 1: Fold. I just don't like QJ here, way too easy to be dominated when called. You're not really ahead of anything that calls here, and at best a coin flip unless you get lucky and someone calls with QT or something.

Hand 2: Fold. You're in the SB, you only put 100 in preflop. You'll be button next hand and can try to steal some blinds (which will be bigger and net you chips if you can take them down once).
Old 09-09-2006, 01:53 AM

Sounds good, thank ya sir.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:59 AM

FOld, this is not low M, you still have plenty of BB
Old 09-09-2006, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FOld, this is not low M, you still have plenty of BB

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the things Im confused about, basically when I get around 10M I feel like if I dont double up right away, when I actually do double up it wont be worth it. I think I make most of my mistakes in a tournament with an M at like 11 or slightly lower.

DH said in general a lot of times in this spot you should be considering opening with an all in move, correct?

I know it isnt this cookie cutter, but what hands are you generally open pushing with an M of 10, the premium pairs and AK, AQ in certain spots?

A related thought, in general, how low can your M get with still some shot of your power in the tournament becoming salvageable?