Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (10/1) (Spoilers?)

[ QUOTE ]
The poker on this show is growing increasingly absurd. Interestingly enough, the one player who shows up to PLAY a high level game every week is Jaime Gold. I have to give him credit - he's really out to make some strong analytical moves. He's making plays based on stack sizes and math, not on goofy home game tactics, which seems to be the mantra of the table. I think that his antics at the WSOP 2006 were ridiculous and I would trust that man to guard a Snickers bar let alone any sum of money, but he's at the very least, an interesting player with a strong upside.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta say I agree here, I really feel that Gold has potential, and you nailed it, he really seems to be the only guy trying to play good poker. I was watching this episode, and at one point I just looked at the hands on the left side of the screen and there were like 5 ppl in a raised pot with Q2s and 34o hands, and I was thinking like, why do I even watch this show? If they televised a table of newbie play money players playing live, the way hands were played would look pretty much like this lineup plays them. Bring back the first lineup from this season already, that was a great, great show. This episode was utter garbage, just unentertaining, boring stuff. I didn't think it could get any worse than watching 3 minutes of Hellmuth talking about insurance a few episodes ago, but it did.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I mean, unless, of course, you don't know how to put a tight opponent on a range of hands. Calling a virtual All-in with KQo on a Kd 10d 7s board is simply retarted. You put a tight player who CRs into a lead with players to act, I mean, what do YOU think her range is. It's not just QdJd. It's that, other straight/flush combos, and every other hand that crushes yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think { Ad9d, Ad8d, Ad7d, KTs, QdJd, Jd9d, T7s, 9d8d } is a reasonable range? Because stacking off is good against that. If not, what other hands would you include?

[ QUOTE ]
The poker on this show is growing increasingly absurd. Interestingly enough, the one player who shows up to PLAY a high level game every week is Jaime Gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing to laugh at. His plays are arguably the most intricate and well thought out this season.

You may want to put Ks7s and 77 in that range too. And K10o, where is that? No, I don't think that stacking off against that is reasonable. Your crushed or you are racing to 12 outs. It's not a tournament, you have only 8K invested so you are by no means committed.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I mean, unless, of course, you don't know how to put a tight opponent on a range of hands. Calling a virtual All-in with KQo on a Kd 10d 7s board is simply retarted. You put a tight player who CRs into a lead with players to act, I mean, what do YOU think her range is. It's not just QdJd. It's that, other straight/flush combos, and every other hand that crushes yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think { Ad9d, Ad8d, Ad7d, KTs, QdJd, Jd9d, T7s, 9d8d } is a reasonable range? Because stacking off is good against that. If not, what other hands would you include?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is a tight enough range for a supernit who literally didn't play a single hand in the first 2 episodes. I think she may play an OESFD like this, but I think that putting her on a bare flush draw is just waaaay too loose. Raising here with a flush draw is standard in a lot of online games, but ff you think back to other episodes of HSP each season, the number of people who make big raises with flush draws is very, very small compared to people just flat-calling. Mike Whatshisname did it this episode against the donkey with A6, that's about the only one I recall offhand. These guys just don't play their hands the same way the average MSNL or HSNL player here does, I think only JQ and I guess 89s make sense there. Also you didn't include a lot of other hands that beat KQ in your range. Maybe you don't think Jenn would have flat-called preflop with a pocket pair or AK, but again, this is HSP, not a tough online game.

I agree with Barry that Daniel played this hand pretty horrible. There was like 9k or something in the pot when it got to Jenn and she was like "okay, I'm the biggest nit on this show and I wanna play a 150k pot, kay?" and he was like "I got top pair and I will put you on a hand I am coinflipping with so I can call kay?". God forbid he should fold there and she does have JQs and he's like "omg, I lost like 4k in equity by folding in this pot!".
Old 10-02-2007, 11:16 AM

I think this season has been great, here is how I would rank the table participants, for this part of the show:

#1 is probably Hellmuth up to this point, he has made some great reads.

#2 is Daniel, he is likely number 1 with this lineup but Hellmuth must have just won the lottery or something because he is playing better.

#3 Jamie Gold, this was a tough because I almost put Silent Mike here but if you can bluff Eli you are doing something.

#4 Silent Mike, granted some things have gone his way and he missed some bets in the last show but he is makeing better plays than most.

#5 Jennifer Harman, I struggled with this one because you could make the argument she should be #8 but as I have had to say to my wife repeatedly, "She is getting no cards". That said she is not very good at No Limit Hold em and that is obvious. Which is a shame because by all accounts she is a titan at other games.

#6 Eli, I hate his game but people who don't think he makes this show better are off their rocker. He and Sammy make it a gambling game and generate those big pots.

#7 Bob Safai, he is there to gamble, plain and simple. Also seems like a great guy in this setting. Great addition. I wish people would be a little more transparent in the future, Phil H.'s comments to Bob were annoying. For one Phil isn't some huge hustler, he gets hustled often. If indeed Bob is the fish Phil should have just shut his mouth.

#8 Sammy Farha, Sammy is the show, when he is on he looks brilliant but he is rarely on. He is there to gamble which likely makes him a bad player but in terms of TV appeal he is quite good.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:26 AM

It constantly surprises me just how stupid, or at the very least, self congratulating these guys are. Hellmuth, Negreanu and Matusow jumping around and yelling about how good their read is on a certain player. Why would you EVER tell somebody that? It's beyond dumb.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It constantly surprises me just how stupid, or at the very least, self congratulating these guys are. Hellmuth, Negreanu and Matusow jumping around and yelling about how good their read is on a certain player. Why would you EVER tell somebody that? It's beyond dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]I think being on TV gets to them. Maybe they think their added exposure and thus marketability is more EV+ than exposing the reads?
Old 10-02-2007, 12:24 PM

Not sure if this is the right place, but did the jman epside air already? If not anyone have any idea when it is?
Old 10-02-2007, 12:34 PM

This show is really starting to degrade in a serious way. Next season they need to change some rules:

1. Do not allow straddles (I don't want to see 7 handed pots with a bunch of junk hands)
2. Do not allow them to run it twice (I want to see variance, make these guys gambool)
3. Do not allow side bets/insurance bets (these are just stupid and slow the game down).

Put people on that actually care about the money and are willing to play poker. I'm tired of watching Sammy and Eli call with any 2 and then chop it/run it twice, etc.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:59 PM

Raven, I agree with #3 on no insurance. Of course, that problem is taken care of if they just don't invite Hellmuth back. Unlikely but that would take care of it. Hopefully, they will see that it annoys the viewers just like the props did and do away with it.

I don't really care one way or another on the running it twice.

I have to disagree on the straddles. I love when they straddle. Pushes the stakes up and get folks to play any two cards and makes it more entertaining to me.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:16 PM