Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2006, 08:15 AM

Default Gamefly.

Anyone here rock this?

For those that dont know-it's basically Netflix but for videogames- "Standard" plan is $20 a month for 2 games keep em long as you want return them whenever etc.

I've had a subscription for two months and am pretty pleased with it, I've played a bunch of games I've thoroughly enjoyed that I know I never would have played otherwise. Basically for $240 a year you can get 24 games (assuming you swap 2 a month) for the price of 4 or 5 that youd buy. If you want to keep the game you can buy it (seems usually around 7$ lower than new price for new titles) and theyll send you the case in the mail.

My gripes:

-Unlike Netflix that has hubs all over, Gamefly seems to solely ship in and out of Cali- so far games take 5-7 business days to get to me and seemingly a few days less to get to them. Kind of a hassle. I live on the east coast fwiw.

-The big new titles get backordered and put on short wait pretty quickly, if you dont plan ahead youre gonna have to wait a while to get em.

I know some games just need to be owned, and some people like building libraries (Ive always been one of them), but just as a kind of public service announcement I recommend this to all enthusiasts in here.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Gamefly.

i had gamefly for a little while and hated it. 2 week turnaround is a dealbreaker, especially considering i was mostly renting games i knew i'd get bored of in couple days

i use gameznflix (lame name) now. its a combo movie/games place and they let u keep 3 things out at once. its cheaper than gamefly (i think) and the turnaround is pretty reasonable. the selection isnt as good and the mailers are terrible though.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i had gamefly for a little while and hated it. 2 week turnaround is a dealbreaker, especially considering i was mostly renting games i knew i'd get bored of in couple days

i use gameznflix (lame name) now. its a combo movie/games place and they let u keep 3 things out at once. its cheaper than gamefly (i think) and the turnaround is pretty reasonable. the selection isnt as good and the mailers are terrible though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I recently saw a commercial for that, I should check out their selection. Im really hoping Blockbuster implements their new Netflixish idea for games, Id be in heaven.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:08 AM

I was relatively pleased with gamefly. Turnaround was a bit annoying but I found it great for RPGs as it takes a while to get through them.

Also had a modded xbox and this was a perfect service for it.