Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 12:13 PM

Default KQo on 863s flop

Live $500 MTT, 13 players left, 9 places pay. Blinds 1000/2000/300. I raise to 6K from hijack with KQo and button calls. I start hand with 47K and button has about 60K. Both of us have been fairly tight. What should I do on the flop and what is my plan.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:18 PM
 is offline

Default Re: KQo on 863s flop

Bet half pot on pretty much all flops, whether you connect or not. If he's tight, his action should reveal whether or not you should continue on after that. Shut down if you whiffed completely and turn brings no help.

On certain flops, like JTx or even J9x, I might mix in a CR/shove. If he checks behind. Fire about half the pot at pretty much all turn cards.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet half pot on pretty much all flops, whether you connect or not. If he's tight, his action should reveal whether or not you should continue on after that. Shut down if you whiffed completely and turn brings no help.

On certain flops, like JTx or even J9x, I might mix in a CR/shove. If he checks behind. Fire about half the pot at pretty much all turn cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

standard. if I have more in the stack, I CR most of the time there.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:43 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that too, except for that fact that our opponent is tight. I think we get handcuffed a lot when we check the flop and end up checking down and losing to an A-high.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:52 PM

This is a really bad flop for me, since villain probably has a pp. It is probably about 80% I am behind. No high cards hit, so I can't represent anything but an overpair.

I could cbet and give up if I am raised or don't improve or just check/fold.

If I play for a checkraise, I can bet the turn if villain checks behind. If I checkraise and get called, villain probably has a pp, but not a big pair or a set, so I have outs.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that too, except for that fact that our opponent is tight. I think we get handcuffed a lot when we check the flop and end up checking down and losing to an A-high.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-08-2007, 01:23 PM

I actually checked to see what villain would do. I definately cbet an ace high flop, but I didn't think a cbet would work. Villain bet 12K, close to pot. I felt I couldn't flat call that. My read, partly from the flat call and large bet, was that villain had a pp. I thought for a while and folded. I don't know if that was weak/tight.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:43 PM

I read the OP and thought, "please don't make me bet" lol

I imagine betting half the pot here takes it down if there is an ace on the board ... but that flop is right in a callers wheelhouse.

Nice play
Old 05-08-2007, 02:07 PM

check/fold. 41K still can play many hands at this level. villain has position on you and have you covered.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:10 PM

c/f is fine. if the guy has been betting in that spot every time you check to him i dont hate a c/r.
edit: wait was teh board monotone? and you dont have one? if thats the case, THEN i dont like the c/r.