Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 03:52 AM

Default Live deep stack 25/50NL hand

I am on the button... 25/50NL game, 7/8 handed. someone in MP posts.. EP young asian kid (possibly a pro, plays very laggy... pretty good hand-reader, but tends to overvalue hands) opens for 225, poster calls, i call on button with J8d, Eugene from NYC (loose and somewhat passive, tricky, reads hands pretty well) calls out of the SB.
Stack sizes: Eugene 30ishk, asian kid 20ishk, me: 15-16k
Flop: JT8 rainbow with Td.
Eugene checks, asian kid bets 700, poster folds, i call, Eugene calls.
Turn 3d... Eugene checks, kid bets 1500... (3k in pot)

I have 15k left, both have me covered.

I obviously could have raised the flop, thoughts on that? And of course, what do you do here on the turn?
Old 07-15-2007, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Live deep stack 25/50NL hand

pretty standard turn call imo.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:03 AM

ofc you cant fold the turn... i am asking for thoughts between calling/raising.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ofc you cant fold the turn... i am asking for thoughts between calling/raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

who said anything about folding? raising is horrid imo. there is only 1 real play here, thats calling. do u think ur gonna fold out a better hand?
Old 07-15-2007, 04:20 AM

i think there is a chance the asian kid might call with AA-QQ, or T8... possibly evey AJ
Old 07-15-2007, 04:22 AM

probably not, but he might... as i said he is on the laggish side, and tends to overvalue his hands (he might correctly assume i picked up the flush draw). he also views me as extremely move-heavy... as we played a short-handed session one time where I consistently c/r'd him with air postflop and rr'd him preflop. however... the other problem is eugene. should i ever be worried about him in this spot?
Old 07-15-2007, 04:35 AM

nothing to do but call
Old 07-15-2007, 05:03 AM

Seems like a call is v standard
Old 07-15-2007, 07:05 AM

sounds like kid has overpair or flopped JJ for set (but with you having a J its hard to put him on that). 225 is a pretty solid pre-flop raise, clearly strong, but says i dont want callers with drawing hands, so i would think he has JJ, QQ or KK and probably not AA. i would think that eugene might have KQ, maybe even same suit as you, hence the call of a pretty big bet which i don't think he would do with open ender alone (but obv don't know the kid so i can only speculate). i think that i would just call, hoping that no face cards hit the board and the board doesn't pair. a shove is not always a bad play here, as this kid very might well call an all in with an over-pair and if you are indeed beat you have a few outs, but i wouldn't do it. eugene is also somebody to worry about, i think that if he did flop a straight with q9 or 97 he might raise on the turn, so its hard to put him on a hand better than yours, and i think he also would have raised with 1010, JJ or 88. raising to about 5k seems to be a very good option because if u do, and only one smooth call then you are likely good, if you are re-raised by eugene, i might have to put him on J10 or Q9, if both smooth call you would probably have to put eugene on a big draw or pair with draw here and asian kid on an overpair, if asian kid 3-bets you are likely looking at a set. so depending on the feel of these players, i think that the best option would be to put in a raise to about 5k, you might be able to take the pot down right there with that bet, or at least further gauge where your opponents are at in the hand. you also have to think about your intents on the river depending on what the river card is. if your opponent is willing to call a re-raise to 5k he probably has a good enough hand to call a shove for ur 13k or so, so i would say re-raise to 5k, hopefully get out eugene's draw if he has one, and asian kid's bigpair if he does have overpair, with a decision ahead if one of them puts you all in. it's a real tricky situation and you could go either way, a conservative call might be right if the guys seem real strong, but personally i would want to feel out where im at, and if you aren't scared to lose ur 15k it might be the best option for you. tell me if this has been of any help, please post how it went down, i'm sure my hand analysis was really off, but its not so easy to read someone when all you got is a loose description of the hand. hope u won it.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:09 AM

I don't mind the call on flop. I'd raise the turn for sure though. If he's overvaluing hands, he'll pay you off with a lot (as you've explained). Make it 4k to go.