Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 12:03 AM

Default A few ways to improve the NFL.....

Was just thinking about this since there were talking about the new commish tonight and he was discussing some of his plans for the league. Let me begin by saying that I think the NFL is in the best shape of any sports league and its my favorite sport to watch, so I'm not complaining....I'm just offering a few ways to improve:

1. Offensive/defensive pass interference- the refs call too much PI on the defense and too little on the offense. Imo, both players have EQAUAL rights to the ball and the refs should try to ignore who is on offense and who is on defense when determining who interfered with whom.

2. Pro Bowl- By far the least competitive of any of the major sports' all star games. I understand the injury risks in football, but people get hurt just as much when going 1/2 speed imo. I'm not really sure of a solution here, but its obviously an area that can be improved. Anyone have any suggestions here?

3. Blowing the whistle on questionable down by contact or down before a fumble plays- since plays in which the whistle blows are not reviewable, the refs must NOT blow the whistle if there is not certainty here imo. I do think they've improved some in this area, but they can improve more.

4. Allow celebrations, but not taunting. I hate the NFL's recent decision to disallow props during celebrations. I think that fun celebrations are good for the game. However, mimicking other player's celebrations, celebrating on the other teams' logo, or anything else disrespectful is different and should NOT be allowed. JMHO here. I think theres a key distinction between having fun and rubbing it in.

Anyone have any others?
Old 09-08-2006, 12:11 AM

Default Re: A few ways to improve the NFL.....

I'm not a fan of all the "defenseless receiver" rules that are in place. I'd like to see them relaxed. But I would guess I'm in the minority here.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:14 AM

Interference & illegal contact is the big one for me. Especially frustrating that it always seems to get called on 3rd down.

Also, intentional freaking grounding. It's not called enough on anybody, but especially against good QB's. When it finally is called, it takes 3 coaches and 11 defenders to beg & plead for the call before the flag is finally thrown about 45 seconds late.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3. Blowing the whistle on questionable down by contact or down before a fumble plays- since plays in which the whistle blows are not reviewable, the refs must NOT blow the whistle if there is not certainty here imo. I do think they've improved some in this area, but they can improve more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vehemently, vehemently disagree. If a team doesn't have a timeout before the last two minutes you're completely [censored] them with this.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:19 AM

One rule that really pisses me off is if a receiver catches the ball and gets two feet down in the endzone, then gets cremed and when he hits the ground he loses the ball, it's ruled incomplete.

It should be a TD as soon as he gets his 2 feet in bounds with control of the ball. Running backs don't have to run into the endzone with 2 feet, get cremed by a LB/DB and hold onto the ball. Once they cross, it's a TD. So, why do receivers get screwed?
Old 09-08-2006, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Pro Bowl- By far the least competitive of any of the major sports' all star games. I understand the injury risks in football, but people get hurt just as much when going 1/2 speed imo. I'm not really sure of a solution here, but its obviously an area that can be improved. Anyone have any suggestions here?

[/ QUOTE ]

No suggestion -- but who cares. Pro Bowl is an afterthought and an honor. No need to make it competitive. Baseball was wrong to make theirs more meaningful.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Vehemently, vehemently disagree. If a team doesn't have a timeout before the last two minutes you're completely [censored] them with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the suggestion is to allow the play to contiune even if the ruling is down by contact. After the play, that team would get the ball, but if would leave the other team the option of challenging, and posibly getting a fumble recovery on review (currently, since the wistle blows, this would not be reviewable). I don't think this would be so bad.

If OP is suggesting that refs should rule a fumble unless there is no doubt, then I agree with you. That would be very bad.

Also, once the wistle blows, the play is dead no matter what the reason for the wistle (even if it is an accident). I know this is the rule, and it is enforced correctly, but I just wanted to state my strong support for it.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No suggestion -- but who cares. Pro Bowl is an afterthought and an honor. No need to make it competitive. Baseball was wrong to make theirs more meaningful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always think the mlb's allstar game is a joke too. Does anybody care about that game?

I've never understood the problem with celebrations. They should allow them all.

I totally agree about intentional grounding.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:38 AM

Probowl: Instead of having staggard bye weeks, give everyone a bye week 9. This is when the probowl would be held. The conference that wins the Pro-bowl would get HFA for the superbowl.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get rid of it. Honor players for being selected to the game. But don't actually hold the game. No one cares and no one ever will.