Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 08:17 PM

Default 8/16 turned top two gets donked into

I haven't played limit in forever but I broke my arm so switched back to avoid typing bet sizes. Maybe this is a simple/obvious hand but I wasn't too confident in what I did.

My opponent is 42/21/1.5 over about 80 hands. He openlimps and cold calls a lot preflop so maybe sucks. I'm running about 27/22 but rarely going past the flop (I'm either folding or my opponents are). What do I do when he donks the turn on this board?

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $8/$16
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 2 folds, BB calls.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4.5SB, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>
Old 02-26-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Re: 8/16 turned top two gets donked into

I'll put villain on an odd 2 pair or a pair + a flush draw. Raise for value and to make him pay for drawing to his flush.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:28 PM

raise
Old 02-26-2007, 08:41 PM

If you raise and get 3bet, are you folding? calling and calling any river? calling and folding a diamond river (other than Jd obv.)? What about if the river bricks and he checks? bet and call a c/r? bet and fold to one? What if he calls a turn raise and donks a harmless river?

Obviously, this is a ton of situations but my hand has little chance to improve. I don't know how much action worse two pairs will give on this board nor do I have a good feel for how far people will go with sets and small flushes.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you raise and get 3bet, are you folding? calling and calling any river? calling and folding a diamond river (other than Jd obv.)? What about if the river bricks and he checks? bet and call a c/r? bet and fold to one? What if he calls a turn raise and donks a harmless river?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, yes, no, bet, yes, no, raise [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2007, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, yes, no, bet, yes, no, raise [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha; my answers were almost exactly that (my ingame in-my-head plan anyway) but I'm not confident on any of them. In the hand in question, he 3bet the turn, I called, he bet the brick river and I called. He had the nuts of course and I felt dumb for putting in 4BB close to dead.

I hate to make a new thread for this so I'll just hijack my own.... is it proper to always bet the flop if you put in the last raise preflop? Almost everybody at 10/20 and 8/16 on FT bets the flop 100% of the time when putting in the last raise preflop (even multiway with nothing). I'm only betting about 80-85% of the time in that spot.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:03 PM

I cant imagine not CBing anywhere near 10% of the time.

Can u give some examples where u check behind as the pfr in a HU or 3way pot?
Old 02-26-2007, 09:15 PM

aggressive CO opens, I 3bet 88 on the button, BB coldcalls, CO calls, flop comes AK4.

I raise AKhh UTG, 2 callers behind me BB calls, flop comes Jc9c7s

Those are the only two from today I remember. I bet situations like the first one sometimes but I'm almost never ahead and the pot is big so it's hard to make people fold. I do some weird checks in standard betting spots just because I don't like always playing the same way but I know that might be a leak at these stakes. I have a few people that are batting 1000 over more than 60 instances in my database and I just don't think that can be optimal (I could be convinced otherwise).
Old 02-26-2007, 09:20 PM

Hand one i bet if i get called im 98% done with it

Hand 2 i would bet too and maybe fire a second barrel, depends on how much callers who calls etc.

I think this is pretty standart
Old 02-26-2007, 09:30 PM

Betting no-draw overcards into 3 people is standard? It looks like total spewing to me. When I bet good hands into that many people, I get plenty of action. I haven't played much shorthanded limit at this point so maybe my experiences have led me to incorrect conclusions but hey, that's why I'm asking.

I'm doing well so far (small sample size blah blah) and hand reading seems so easy compared to NL. There seem to be a lot of players that have a bet-anything-and-hope-for-folds style that I can't imagine is optimal.