Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Re: First good idea

Well, in terms of managing risk I'm a bit wild. I think at one point I had a 35% position in DSUP because we thought it was a very good idea. I figured a better idea meant I could take a deeper position. Turned out that might not be a very good strategy.

In terms of exits, a FA exits when the fundamentals change. Until they blew Q3 and posted crappy EBITDA numbers making it clear they were not going to make the 80M EBITDA guidance in '07 I still felt pretty good about a 20-25 price target based on '08 numbers. SO I didn't sell anything until after where I sold half my shares at $6 because I couldn't handle the portfolio concentration given we felt a lot worse about the quality of the idea.

Krishan
Old 11-22-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, in terms of managing risk I'm a bit wild. I think at one point I had a 35% position in DSUP because we thought it was a very good idea. I figured a better idea meant I could take a deeper position. Turned out that might not be a very good strategy.

In terms of exits, a FA exits when the fundamentals change. Until they blew Q3 and posted crappy EBITDA numbers making it clear they were not going to make the 80M EBITDA guidance in '07 I still felt pretty good about a 20-25 price target based on '08 numbers. SO I didn't sell anything until after where I sold half my shares at $6 because I couldn't handle the portfolio concentration given we felt a lot worse about the quality of the idea.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

So now what weight do you have it at, just curious and if you dont wanna say hey I understand.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"My somewhat charitable characterization of DSUP is their business earns a lumpy 10% ROIC (excluding badwill). Perhaps not a terrible business if you lever the assets 50% at 6% interest. Unfortunately they're levered 120% at 12%. "

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Debt refinance comes in at a blended rate of ~7.6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Progress! I almost own a not terrible business.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm going to kill myself if this goes to 4.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, god damn leverage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leverage as in leveraged company or leverage as in you hold a margin position?

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Leveraged company. No margin for me except extreme short term trades on occasion (1 week).

Krishan
Old 11-22-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

So now what weight do you have it at, just curious and if you dont wanna say hey I understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

16.5K in a portfolio of 196? 8% position.

Krishan
Old 11-23-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you found an undervalued stock and loaded up, but if the market doesn't agree with your valuation (and the market is always right), then there must come a point where you acknowledge that while your analsis was correct, your timing wasn't, and you have to sell to preserve your capital so that you can profit during the times you are right and realise the +EV of your work in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Managing risk ftw. Very good advice kimchi.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

First you are the man. Second, I'm going to kill myself if this goes to 4.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]
Farewell.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:36 PM

bet this forum owns like 10% of this company by this point. Lets vote for el diablo to be on the board!
Old 11-23-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bet this forum owns like 10% of this company by this point. Lets vote for el diablo to be on the board!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 11-23-2007, 02:51 PM

If this thing hits 3 I'll buy a few hundred shares just for [censored] and giggles. That way when Kirhsn has broken even I'll be up 400% bwa ha ha ha