Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Can an abc predictable preflop player beat 100-200?

Define something for me people:

Good players who don't play abc(as in betting when they have, check/folding when they don't) win more mainly because:

1)They get paid more when they have it.
2)They make people fold a good hand (good hand = some low pair or a good ace high. Something that doesn't happen too often in today's games)
3)They win the pot when both of you have nothing (nothing = good hand from option 2).

While all 3 options are valid there must be one (maybe I didn't list it?) who has a larger weight in this formula, I would vote for number 3.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:22 PM

I think it depends on what you mean by abc. Solid play will win, but rote play will not.

You don't have to get out of line all the time, if that's what you're asking. But you do have to be able to read hands and situations well.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:51 PM

This must be why you play 15/30 now.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2007, 01:54 PM

FWIW, my definition of an ABC player is one who plays a particular situation the same every time. I'm certainly not saying that they are following a hand chart, but rather when it's folded to them on the Button, they have xx, sb is y (y being discriptive of the person's style of play), and bb is z they always do the same thing.

Unfortunately that is about as easy as the decisions get. Normally it will be more like utg+1 (who is a) raises, hero is in CO with xx, button is b, sb is c, and bb is d then hero does the same thing every time.

I think most people think of an ABC player as one who doesn't take other players into account which is either incorrect or I would like to create a new player that is ABCxyz that does take other players into account. I think ABCxyz player can bet high games (never played Stars 1/2 to know about that game).
Old 03-19-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the people who consistently won the most and did the best in the 2p2 games we used to do on Party were people playing significantly different than your traditional abc game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with this. With regard to learning the intricacies of short-handed limit holdem, I probably learned more from those 2+2 matches than any other single source of info. We usually played these matches with a condition that you show your hand if uncalled. These matches provided the opportunity to learn from top 2+2 players, players who went beyond basic strategy and incorporated unique and questionable-appearing tactics, and lively commentary to explain/critique these tactics.

I dont think you could come away from these games without being a stronger player.

People often questioned why we would all play each other (Scheids, Barry, BK, Newhouse, Ggbman, Victor, Enon, Dcifr, Paluka, etc.) in these grudge-matches when there was much easier competition out there. However, in poker and in the 'real world', it is very difficult to overvalue practice and education at the highest levels available.

TSP
Old 03-19-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
abc predictable preflop player

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of discussion of what ABC means. If "predictable" means, you know, predictable, as in based on your actions pre-flop a good hand reader can predict with an unusually high rate of accuracy what your cards are, I would think as your opponents are increasingly strong hand readers who know how to exploit their reads you will put yourself at a serious disadvantage that your otherwise perfect poker will be hard-pressed to overcome.

If by predicatable you mean game-theoretical optimal, designed to exploit your tough, tricky opponents in such a way that you always get the best of it preflop, setting the stage for out-playing your opponents post-flop: well, then I think you should do very well.