Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Concepts from NLTP (28/29) - Advises to minraise

So, i am finally finishing NLTP and i encountered 2 strange concepts, 28& 29 on pages 266/267.
Basically, what the book says is that with a strong hand (they give KK as an example) and 100BB stack (example - 1000$, 5-10NL), you should either make it like 30$ even if there were 2 limpers behind or overbet to like 120$ to cut down villains' implied odds, cause if you raise to 60-70$ you are basically telling the opponents you have a strong hand, but give them implied odds to outflop you.

They call the 30$ raise a pot builder, together with your positional advantage.

And in the next concept, they advocate to often make minraises, mostly when you have double stacks and hand that plays well in multiway pot in position, like ATs or SC.

What do you think about this stuff?
Seems pretty much the opposite of what is considere the standard preflop raising advices.
I'll pm David Sklansky with a link to this thread, would be interesting to see what he has to say.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Concepts from NLTP (28/29) - Advises to minraise

Most of us counters this by raising to 60-70 with small pairs and suited connectors as well. Since Sklansky wants to min raise with those he kind of creates his own problem IMO.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:43 PM

I don't have a lot of time to respond in detail to this, but I'll say that in general this all sounds pretty bad for online 6max games.

In these games, hands that are calling $20 more are generally calling 40 more as well. This is all player dependent but w/e. However, hands that are calling 40 more are basically never calling 110 more. That sounds pretty absurd but maybe I'm missing something. If you make it 55 or so v. 2 limpers with a decently wide range of hands, you can do so w/ big hands profitably w/o revealing the strength of your hands.

Also, in general, players who are limping in 6max games don't really give much thought to the cards you have.

I'm not even going to address the minraising concept. Suffice it to say that it just isn't good (in general). You're giving up some EV postflop and it has some effects on your image that I'd just rather not have to consider.

I think you'll find that most solid players around here don't reccommend that book. Sorry Ed and David.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think you'll find that most solid players around here don't reccommend that book. Sorry Ed and David.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone have some links to review posts of this book by MSNL and HSNL regulars?
Old 02-10-2007, 10:12 PM

ill try to post my thoughts in a nice fashion; their concepts are borderline retarded.

i dont think DS has any exp. with SH games of today online or whatnot.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ill try to post my thoughts in a nice fashion; their concepts are borderline retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then what was all the buzz about?The NL bible etc etc...
I actually found a lot of helpful things in the book, but some of the advices there were kinda fishy and made me scratch my head.
Overall, i'd say it's still much better than the original "bible" - Supersystem.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Overall, i'd say it's still much better than the original "bible" - Supersystem.

[/ QUOTE ]
man, i dont know. s/s is far and away the best NL strat book
Old 02-10-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then what was all the buzz about?The NL bible etc etc...
I actually found a lot of helpful things in the book, but some of the advices there were kinda fishy and made me scratch my head.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't like NLTP much, the stuff that I agreed with wasnt grounbreaking and I didnt find alot of the advice given to be very good. I thought the supersytem NL section to be pretty useful.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:26 PM

So, to sum it up, you all agree that those concepts that i quoted are erroneous for MSNL shorthanded games?
Old 02-10-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, to sum it up, you all agree that those concepts that i quoted are erroneous for MSNL shorthanded games?

[/ QUOTE ]
heres the thing. lets take out metagame, as in opponents play with you enough to pickup on what you're doing (and then exploit it) because that is an obvious weakness of these minraises. (if it is "always" one type of hand / etc.)

so, ignoring that, the reasoning is to build the pot - and the counter, really, to me is... if you are a good player, with just 100bbs, you can build a pot limped or raised regardless... but if youve built a pot bigger (by raising a more standardized size) you often just pick up more money in isolation on the flop etc.

esp. in the aggro current games, with 100bb unless vs a specifically predicatable opponent (generally the nits, but some lags or tags fall into this category) cutting down implied odds is not NEARLY as important as maximizing raw earn vs weaker hands.