Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 10:40 PM

Default a couple of questions about running

So I'm at school and trying to fit some running into my schedule.

1) What, if any, are the effects of running with a backpack on? It wouldn't be very heavy with no more than a book and a couple of notebooks.

2) What, if any, are the effects of running in cold weather (25 - 35 degrees)? Is there anything I should consider wearing in these elements aside from long pants and a hoodie?

Apologies if these are stupid and/or obvious. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2007, 10:52 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: a couple of questions about running

[ QUOTE ]
1) What, if any, are the effects of running with a backpack on? It wouldn't be very heavy with no more than a book and a couple of notebooks.

[/ QUOTE ]

My endocrinologist says this is good for improving bone density, since it increases the weight-bearingness (to coin a phrase) of the running.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:07 AM

All i know is that whenever i ran with a backpack when late for something or what not i felt like i looked REALLY ridiculous.

Is your schedule really that packed? As far as cold, i'm not sure if it's frozen where you are but you need to be careful of ice, i hurt myself pretty bad once by not paying attention.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:28 AM

Seems like running with a backpack would getting annoying with it flopping up and down and hitting your back (with books in it) every stride.

As for running in cold weather. Wear a hat or a headband to cover your ears and also get some gloves. You don't want those parts of your body cold.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:28 AM

Maybe you would need to change the backback for a 20ltr rucksack designed for activity (probably including a waist strap?), google product search and they look fairly smart too, I guess fashion would be important at school.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All i know is that whenever i ran with a backpack when late for something or what not i felt like i looked REALLY ridiculous.

Is your schedule really that packed? As far as cold, i'm not sure if it's frozen where you are but you need to be careful of ice, i hurt myself pretty bad once by not paying attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft very uncomfortable with the backpack

make sure you dress warm for running outdoors in the cold. spandex ftw
Old 11-08-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is your schedule really that packed?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah, just exploring possible options. I wasn't sure if the backpack would be a benefit or a downside. I tried it once, and it wasn't particularly uncomfortable or anything, so if I could run on my way back from class that would be convenient. Seems like you guys don't think it's a problem health-wise.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you would need to change the backback for a 20ltr rucksack designed for activity (probably including a waist strap?), google product search and they look fairly smart too, I guess fashion would be important at school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you need the waist strap. I've often run 20 mile runs with a backpack. Basically you have to not care what others think.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm at school and trying to fit some running into my schedule.

2) What, if any, are the effects of running in cold weather (25 - 35 degrees)? Is there anything I should consider wearing in these elements aside from long pants and a hoodie?

Apologies if these are stupid and/or obvious. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

you can get back injuries from your body moving slightly differently to account for it

when you workout your body gets weak, you repair it afterwards with food, rest, etc. So while running you are definitely a little more susceptible to sickness