Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 03:48 AM

Default Re: So I\'m going to Prison for 2 years

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He did not hurt or kill anybody, are people really suggesting that he should receive such a harsh sentence because he "potentially could have killed someone"?

[/ QUOTE ]

While I think there is merit in your argument about the LENGTH of the punishment, the above quoted is the dumbest [censored] I've read.

First, it's very results-oriented.

Second, while attemped murder is worse than DUI, if I try to shoot someone and miss, should I not be punished?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna avoid to resort to personal attacks, but you appear to have a personal stake in this matter and have shown an inability to think about this objectively.

Your comparison with attempted murder is completely idiotic. Please note the HUGE difference between the words "attempted" and "potential". This whole attempted murder thing was completely out of left field. For plowing into some kid you should be punished...for vehicular manslaughter. For driving under the influence you should be punished for *gasp* driving under the influence. DUI is a crime, people should be punished FOR THAT CRIME, not for what that crime could POSSIBLY or POTENTIALLY elicit, especially when laws are already in place to handle the elicited situation. Seriously, all these comparisons of DUI to attempted murder and the like just make you people look incapable of logical thought.

So far your only argument for such a long sentence is, "well it could possibly kill someone" or "well what if it was your kid who got crushed by a drunk driver?" as if either of those prove anything. Seriously, attempted murder?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree thats a bit of a stretch. Its more like someone shooting off a gun in a crowded area but trying not to hit anyone. I would welcome them into my surrounding area. They probably should not be punished since letting them continue to discharge rounds in the vacinity of other helpless individuals who are just trying to travel on foot is perfectly fine. Yeah.. thats ok with me.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I should clarify that I would never drink anything close to my limit and drive in high speed zones. The only times that I do this are in areas with no higher thana 35 mph limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I commend you for that, its good that you only confine your impaired driving to school and residential zones.

To all who are defending OP/DUIs or are complaining of the sentence, how many DUIs (that only resulted in being pulled over) do you feel it should take before this sentence would be reasonable? Keep in mind that for each time he is caught he likely committed the crime a large amount.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I should clarify that I would never drink anything close to my limit and drive in high speed zones. The only times that I do this are in areas with no higher thana 35 mph limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I commend you for that, its good that you only confine your impaired driving to school and residential zones.

[/ QUOTE ]

good of you to join us late in the thread Kevin
Old 11-26-2007, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have one and would never even think of reoffending, would be the stupidist thing I could ever imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure everyone says this. A lot of people do it again though, obviously. I don't think it's as simple as saying, "That was stupid and I'll never do it again." When you are drunk, you make bad choices. That's the way it is.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:53 AM

Lol didn't know it was invite only.. and since it matters so much I posted something a page or two back when I read this the first time.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i have 3

[/ QUOTE ]

This scares me because one of my best friends got his 3rd one in May and is still in the process of dealing with all the legal proceedings.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:55 AM

To all the posters debating .08 / am I impaired / just a couple of drinks / blah, blah, blah…ad nauseam.

Is it not possible for you to go out and enjoy yourselves without having a drink ffs?

I like a drink, I drink often, I drink quite a lot. I virtually never use public transport.

I do not have a drink if I’m going to drive a car within 12 hours – period. It’s not difficult.

Why?
!) Because when I was very young and stupid I was a passenger in a car where the driver was absolutely shitfaced – no bad outcome, but I recognised that he could have easily killed someone just through being an idiot. The consequences of that – the effect on his life (let alone that of the victim / family) would have been so huge that I decided to never place myself in that position.

2) Because if I did kill someone after a couple of drinks, even if legally below the limit, I would always be asking myself if the accident could have been avoided if I was 100% sober.

Sorry if this comes off as overly preachy, but I just can’t understand how so many people’s (apparent) criteria for enjoyment seems to depend largely on alcohol consumption, and how willing they are to then jump in a car and endanger others.

Stay in a hotel, get a taxi, sleep on a friend’s floor, be the / have a designated driver. Again – it’s not difficult.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:32 AM

I stopped reading this thread half-way through, because I got tired of the moralizing. But I will attempt to answer OP's question with some links.

Headed to prison discussion at Prison Talk

The following link is to an advocacy group, but I think that if you explore it, you might find some practical information.

Families Against Mandatory Minimums

Here is a brief article:

Serving time in jail

If you were in NY, or going to a federal prison, I could provide more specific info, but as has been said here already, prisons and jails can differ substantially.

But I will emphasize to you that an experienced criminal defense lawyer in your locality should be able to offer some pretty concrete advice.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:49 AM

i'm going to get smashed tonight at home watching mnf and toast the eventual arrest and imprisonment of fuq, mvp and others in this thread.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm going to get smashed tonight at home watching mnf and toast the eventual arrest and imprisonment of fuq, mvp and others in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I've made light of before, in another drunk driving thread while you were on your high-horse campaigning against the evils of it- didn't you intentionally try to run someone off the road by putting your car into their driver side door? Seems interesting to me that you'd be so appalled by drunk driving yet in a specific instance you're a far bigger immediate threat than any and all drunk drivers that may be on the road at any given time. Do you at least see the hypocrisy of that?