Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Why 3bet?

[ QUOTE ]
As poker players we strive for the most +EV line, not the easiest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its funny, I've watched this forum go from saying "its most +EV to find the easiest line for you to play" to saying "the most +EV line /= the easiest play," and now people use the later as what I see as a cop-out to make a bad, fishy call with an unmade hand out of position in a raised pot. Are you going to fold if the flop comes KT2 and he bets? Then you shouldnt call preflop, because thats whats going to happen 2/3 of the time.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:28 PM

It really comes down to how good of a player you are. At some level, the easy play is the most EV. At another level, a more +EV play might emerge.

There is a point at which the easy play becomes less and less optimal.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:32 PM

Traz, you're totally right there about it coming down to having the ability to make the best play. But my stand is also that coldcalling preflop is never a good play, no matter how bad you are postflop, if you're just playing fit-or-fold.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:34 PM

how about if we have AJ in the blinds, and we suspect someone of a steal in LP, we call pf and lead the flop, kinda as if we are the ones c-betting?
Old 10-04-2007, 06:37 PM

Youre better off 3betting preflop and exploiting his tendancy to steal too often. If you wait to donk the flop then you're not really exploiting anything, and you're giving him a chance to pull ahead. Plus, now you've got to balance the times when you check the flop when you get there.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its funny, I've watched this forum go from saying "its most +EV to find the easiest line for you to play" to saying "the most +EV line /= the easiest play," and now people use the later as what I see as a cop-out to make a bad, fishy call with an unmade hand out of position in a raised pot. Are you going to fold if the flop comes KT2 and he bets? Then you shouldnt call preflop, because thats whats going to happen 2/3 of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

im cr alot of flops
Old 10-04-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im cr alot of flops

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty key. And I think that you, especially being at NL600, can appreciate that without this key strategic fact, coldcalling preflop is a bad play. Especially given that this may not be obvious to the majority of people reading this thread, it should be made clear.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:09 AM

yeah if you just give up on a non A/J flop then calling is pretty bad. However, you shouldn't be.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:32 AM

As the OP of this thread I really want to thank all the posters here for this interesting discussion(s). Actually I have nothing to add right now, but I think I learned a lot from just lurking this thread.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:13 PM

If he starts 4 betting you light on account of your 3 betting light, the math runs onto biblical proportions and you start having to make marginal decisions for a lot of chips which is a good thing to avoid at micros in my opinion, but yeah the percentage of time you three bet and get 4 bet and have to fold should change the numbers dramatically if an opponent adjusts to a loosened 3 betting range. Although i have no formulae to demonstrate this.

Nice post.

Mack