Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Raise ATC from CO or button?

[ QUOTE ]
You make most of your money by picking up a bunch of small pots? That's pretty standard for a LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:01 AM

Big pots don't come along very often. You don't worry about the small pots, you let them go if you face resistance or whatever, but you should be actively trying to pick up small pots that others don't seem to want.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 AM

It's obviously fine when you're scooping up the pots. It's not like I'm saying "You're making money? That's bad." But in a vacuum raising pre-flop with a wide range in hopes of taking down another small pot with a cb seems like it'd be leaking money in the long-run.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's obviously fine when you're scooping up the pots. It's not like I'm saying "You're making money? That's bad." But in a vacuum raising pre-flop with a wide range in hopes of taking down another small pot with a cb seems like it'd be leaking money in the long-run.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying play every marginal hand like this. You need to mix it up just enough to keep people off balance. What I am saying is that raising from LP just opens up so more winning opportunities (btw part of this approach is playing a big hand exactly the same way as a marginal hand open-raise. You either take down the blinds (miniscule money), you take down more money when they fold to your continuation bet (something like 6-7 blinds on average maybe. Sometimes they play back on you via a check-raise but counterbalance that with the situation where you're marginal pre-flop hand turns into a decent hand on the flop. In thsi situation you end up taking down sizeable pots and you tend to get paid off as people think you're just pushing a blind steal too hard. The trick is to know when you need to slow down post-flop. So while I do talk about making money from small pots, what I'm probably trying to say is that its more of a means to an end.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You make most of your money by picking up a bunch of small pots? That's pretty awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you gonna pick up an extra BB say every orbit or so, you likely to double or even triple your winrate.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:20 AM

Occasionally situations arise when the blinds are both complete nits and very nitty post flop which can make open-raising ATC OTB profitable. However after a while even the nits are likely to adjust so you have to tighten up a bit. This is VERY rare though.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:25 AM

To me, a good LAG is someone who is excellent at hand-reading and can take away small, medium, and big pots when they find the right situations - even amidst some resistance.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:27 AM

It isn't leaking money, as long as you don't do it with too wide a range.

I think this might be (at least partially) in response to a post I made where someone was talking about their stats and had an attempt to steal blinds below 20.

I don't think anyone is meaning to suggest it should be 75 or something. Then they'll just start calling you down, and will have better hands on average.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:05 AM

Thanks for all the responses! I'm still learning more and more from these discussions [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] .
Old 07-16-2007, 12:07 PM

Hi Joost,

Hi know exactly what you mean, as I play in the same limits (NL25).

In my opinion there are two issues in your situation, is there any limper before you or not.
As you know there most surely are, and in that case, even at those limits the 4BB raise followed by a cbet will be +EV for you.
Here is a fantastic explanation of why is that:
http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/i...treib0507.html

In those situation here there is no limper....and it is you against the blinds...if you raise 4BB you must win about 73% of the time to be profitable [4BB(1-X)-1.5BB(X)>0 => X > 0.72(72)]....but that would be for a pure blind steel and your EV will be even bigger if the blinds where do make cold call with marginal hands. You could lower for 3BB the raise, in that particular situation where you are up against the blinds....and you would only need to win more than 66% of the time for profit... I would choose that up on the kind of blinds that I'm up agains...........if they are tight I would raise 4BB .... but choose wisely my cbets, if they are loose or calling station I would 3BB and cbet more, as someone said it all depends of the players you are up against.
Thats why so many players write that stealing the blinds is not profitable at this levels...it is true.... you should think of that raise as a semi-bluff and not a blind steal and choose your hands according to that.
I'm usually a little tighter if I'm only up against loose blinds that if I have callers behind me as they limp better my odds and I'll make more money from cbetting.

Sure would like to ear about feedback of this way to play from pooh bahs's

Cheers