Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Re: **The Office 2/15**

[ QUOTE ]
One poster mentioned that Roy's character has really developed. Not sure about that. Didn't him leaving Pam at the art show indicate that he really hasn't?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care much about Roy, but in the opening season, I think they tried to make Roy more like the UK Office's engaged-to-the-secretary guy, and I think they have moved away from that type (cold, shallow), toward more of a vulnerable, weak character that I have trouble rooting for at all. His development is the caring, nice side of him, or his attempt at being caring, which hasn't always been shown.

Or maybe it's not development at all, but just a clean shift from one set of one-dimensional character traits to another. I think, yeah.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:53 PM

The show's writers have definitely developed his character this season compared to seasons 1 and 2. I guess what I meant is that Roy is fundamentally the same as before. As soon as he wins Pam back, he goes right back to ignoring her and taking her for granted.

edit: Fixed because my first line referred to the wrong poster.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:55 PM

Funniest parts for me: When Michael was throwing candy bars into the audience, first he throws the Whatchamacallit at no one, then the Payday, and then he chucks the 100 Grand at dude in the third row and nails him in the head.

Also, when Kevin closes the door on the bat, he looks at the camera and says "I'm a hero." That had me laughing my ass off.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:56 PM

I didn't see it that way at all. I took her reaction to be one of realization that he doesn't challenge her at all, he doesn't really understand her, and she's settling because she can't get what she truly wants.

Great episode. That might be my favorite of the Jim-Dwight interplay. And though I hate Michael's character, it's bearable and somewhat funny when I can at least understand his reactions to a degree.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His development is the caring, nice side of him, or his attempt at being caring, which hasn't always been shown.

Or maybe it's not development at all, but just a clean shift from one set of one-dimensional character traits to another. I think, yeah.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's just that we hadn't seen him be nice until he lost Pam and had to be nice to win her back. Now that he has, that shallowness is coming back.

I guess that's development in a way. Now we just have to see how he acts in the weeks to come.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:14 AM

The writers try too hard with Michael. Maybe they hope to use his ridiculous behavior to sell the show to people who don't appreciate subtlety but might enjoy watching a guy make a fool out of himself every week. It's too bad, because he has the potential to bring the show to another level like he did tonight.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
His development is the caring, nice side of him, or his attempt at being caring, which hasn't always been shown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's just that we hadn't seen him be nice until he lost Pam and had to be nice to win her back. Now that he has, that shallowness is coming back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. He's acting like any meat-head jerkoff would act if he wanted to win back a woman who had dumped him. A guy like him can only live up to her expectations for so long. Eventually he inevitably starts regressing back to his former self -- just as Roy did at the Art Show.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:43 AM

I like this show and loved the first 2 seasons but wtf happened? This show is so much worse now on every level. It is like regressing, and the writing isn't near as good.

Also, the acting in the Pam Michael seen was embaressing.... the last few episodes of season 3 have been depressingly mediocre.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:45 AM

Great episode. The scene with the Bat, Meredith, and Dwight was hilarious. One of the funniest moments of the show for me in a long while. I was really impressed with all the characters, they all were doing what I usually love about them.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

also...i LOL every time creed calls someone by the wrong name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure that was a "The Walton's" reference.