Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 10:15 PM

Default London visit advice

I'll be in London for 3 days next week. First time. What can I see that won't be crowded with tourists? More importantly, where should I eat? I'll be alone and don't care about price. I'm particularly craving Indian. Thanks for the help, and to El D for letting me post this.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:22 PM

Default Re: London visit advice

It's the summer holidays so it'll be busy as hell pretty much anywhere. Have fun [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2007, 10:52 PM

If you're going to be there on a sat night:

www.schooldisco.com (maybe NSFW)
Old 08-01-2007, 01:03 AM

If you're in London and want to eat fairly cheap Indian/Bangladeshi, there's really no match to Brick Lane, a streetful of aggressive (the hosts are all standing on the street beckoning tourists) and delicious spicy restaurants. Most of these are BYOB (they have no liqour licenses) so you can even bring in some pimp booze to enjoy in the glasses they give you.

One place I've returned to is Aladdin (it may be called Aladin[sic], I'm not sure) which is squat in the middle of the street. I heartily recommend bringing in a nice Indian pale ale with you to go well with the heat... wine is for suckers when it comes to spicy foods.

For good white people food, try Brown's steaks/daily specials right in central london. A good dinner sans wine should run around 30 pounds depending on your extravagence.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:52 AM

Default Re: London visit advice *DELETED*

Post deleted by El Diablo
Old 08-01-2007, 02:19 AM

I've seen a couple people knock it on here before iirc, but Harrod's is worth checking out. It also has a huge food area with all kinds of good stuff. And it's in a decent area to walk around.

You will definitely love it. Great town.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:31 AM

try charlotte street for restaurants.

dunno about tourist attractions, but i dont do much tourist stuff
Old 08-01-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be in London for 3 days next week. First time. What can I see that won't be crowded with tourists? More importantly, where should I eat? I'll be alone and don't care about price. I'm particularly craving Indian. Thanks for the help, and to El D for letting me post this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try these Indian restaurants - I make it a point to hit the first two (both part of the same restaurant group) whenever I go to London:

Mela: fusion-Indian, really quite good.
Chowki: they offer dishes from three different Indian regions each month, quite good and (for London) not badly priced
Veeraswamy: traditional, kind of high-end Indian cuisine. They also own Chutney Mary, which is supposed to be better but I've never been there.

All three are located in the Theatre district, Regeant Street/Shaftsbury Avenue.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:44 AM

I just returned from a month in London. I ate at one really high priced Indian Restuarant called Tamarind, which was good. I think it is a much better value to just try a regularly priced Indian restuarant as all are good.

If you want to play some poker you should check out the Grosvenor Victoria. Good games on weekends that play really soft.

What are you interested in, museums, historical sites, architecture, etc? Most stuff will have some tourists, but some things are less touristy than others.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:59 AM

i really don't like london but even i have to admit the museums are great, especially the science museum.

last time i was there outside it they had this 'photos from above' art display of photographs taken around the world from helicopter. obviously that won't be there now but there may be something similarly cool.