Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 11:23 PM

Default Who Is the Best Writer Who Has Written a Poker Strategy Book?

Every once in a while, I start writing this post, but quit halfway through, so I don't think I've actually posted.

Anyways, the question is, who is the best writer who has written a poker strategy book, considering writing ability independent of actual poker knowledge?

I'll put the question this way. You are given the ability to imbue any one author with a previously published poker book the most poker knowledge and theoretical understanding of any person on the Earth. This person will be tasked with writing a poker book for your eyes only on the poker subjects of your choosing. This person will be shunted into an alternative dimension where time runs much faster so that the book will be finished in a month or less according to how times runs in this universe. (The Mike Caro rule.) Afterwards, this poker knowledge will be removed from the author so that you can only gain knowledge from the text that is produced. However, you must choose someone who has already written a poker strategy or theory book.

Who would you choose?

Basically, if you could hold understanding of poker constant across all poker authors, who would be the best communicator of those ideas? If all poker authors had the sum of all poker knowledge, who would best organize those ideas into a book for your personal consumption? For example, you could think that Ken Warren has crap ideas, but communicates crap better than more knowledgeable authors communicate better ideas, so you might pick him even if you think his current books are worthless.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Re: Who Is the Best Writer Who Has Written a Poker Strategy Book?

best for clear ideas and good writing: tie between ciaffone and miller....

best poker knowledge: sklansky for limit hold-em.... no-limit hard to say.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:38 AM

I read your query in a different way than the last poster. I think I know what you mean, but just to be sure, here's the question I'm trying to answer:

Of all the authors who have written poker strategy books, who would I evaluate as the most skilled writer (irrespective of the strength of that author's poker ideas)?

My answer is John Vorhaus. He's the only poker strategy author whose books I enjoy reading even if they don't help my game. His writing is clear, well executed, and entertaining. I expect that most folks who have written significantly will appreciate my choice, even if they would choose someone else.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:16 AM

Vorhaus will probably be the most popular choice, but his writing style doesn't suit me personally.

Miller and Ciaffone are the two I thought of even before seeing smbruin22's post.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:30 AM

Does Matt Matros's book count as a strategy book?
If not, probably Phil Gordon. I've never read anything by Vorhaus, who has been mentioned by a few people.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If not, probably Phil Gordon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found his tone too cutesy and too familiar for my liking. It reads like a self-help book or weight loss method, lol.

Probably the worst writer AFAIK (stylistically) is Barry Greenstein in "Ace on the River".

Also check Jeniffer Harman's chapter in SS2 for various ridic grammar and spelling errors.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:33 AM

I agree John Vohaus is a very good writer and Angel Largay has a very nice style to go along with alot of knowledge. I think either one of them would be a good choice.

R
Old 06-07-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read your query in a different way than the last poster. I think I know what you mean, but just to be sure, here's the question I'm trying to answer:

Of all the authors who have written poker strategy books, who would I evaluate as the most skilled writer (irrespective of the strength of that author's poker ideas)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's what I mean.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:34 PM

John Feeney
Old 06-07-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vorhaus will probably be the most popular choice...

[/ QUOTE ]

In terms of pure literary style, though it gets a little wearing, Vorhaus has to be acknowledged. An honorable mention should be made of Herbert Osborn Yardley, author of The Education Of A Poker Player, a how to win manual with lots of great true stories. It has strategy chapters on 5 card draw, 5 card stud, 5 card lowball, 7 card stud and others (no hold'em). It is a big selling book first published in 1957 though the stories are from his youth around the turn of the twentieth century. In fact, give me Yardley's book over anything Vorhaus has written...