Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Re: citanul cleaning bbv/b4l discussion/rants

are all of you really so dependent on these words that you cant communicate or be funny without them? i mean really, its not a national law or anything. this is a privately owned message board. if you dont like the rules, you have basically 0 recourse anyway, so get over it.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:30 PM

BBV = bans, beats, and variance?
Old 02-22-2007, 07:33 PM

BBVers,

My idea
Old 02-22-2007, 07:34 PM

Is "O RLY?" allowed? I don't want the other snow owls to possibly feel left out when one of their own is displayed.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:36 PM

Sanchez,

I think its disengenuous to couch the recent changes made to the language standards of BBV as "battling the forces of evil (racism bigotry ignorance) if they are really nothing more than "the admins dont want you to use these words cause it might cost mason some money". It both implicitly labels those who argue against the changes as being bigots and makes some, which i believe to be, inherently flawed assumptions, some of which i pointed out in my post.

You seem to be taking the position that "its their forum, they can do what they want" which is, of course completely true. However, there is a form of social contract at work between those in control of the forums and those using them. A perfect example is the use of nsfw tags and links for certain images. This is a process that is almost universally agreed to be a fair imposition on the posting abilities of the users, since many nsfw images are EXTREMELY offensive, and possible consequences from having such content splashed on your monitor can be dire.

These latest changes, however, are, in the opinion of many posters, a serious imposition on their enjoyment of the forums. You, and others, are certainly correct that i can use many words besides nigga, gay, or retarded. The reason i come to these forums, though, is for my personal enjoyment. I enjoy the personality i deploy through the posts i make, and enjoy the communication that goes on between myself and other posters. If my enjoyment is being curtailed, i am going to lose my enjoyment of these boards, and that upsets me. Now certainly if such curtailments are neccesary because my words are promoting hatred, then that seems a fair trade off, but if, as i have asserted, these accusations of bigotry and racism prove foundless, then my enjoyment of the boards has been curtailed just so that the owners can make more money, and citanul doesnt have to "hear" my naughty language.

pjn
Old 02-22-2007, 07:40 PM

A few questions:

(1)Are poop jokes okay?
ie, "Hey dude, I pooped in your bed"

(2) Is calling people fat allowed, or is this offensive?
ie, "wow dids is FAT"
or, "wow dids is OBESE"
also: is there a difference between calling someone fat and calling someone obese?

(3) Can we ask leading questions?
ie, "have you ever considered what it would feel like to die in a grease fire?"

(4) Can I say "retarded" if i specify "mentally" before it?
ie, "wow that [censored] is mentally retarded, hes drooling all over my seat i need a new one."
Old 02-22-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my enjoyment of the boards has been curtailed for an arbitrary whim instead of just banning obvious offenders and citanul can power trip by banning naughty words he regularly used on the forums in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BBVers,

My idea

[/ QUOTE ]
thats not really different from the previous brilliant idea of 'if you dont like our rules, GTFO'. its not like 2p2 provides a particularly great forum environment or anything, the only reason people keep coming back is other people, who are already here.

an easy solution would be to create a huge wordlist, that filters out anything remotely offensive. but instead of using the current filtering method (where everything gets replaced prior to saving to database), do it SA style - only when displaying to non-logged in users (might as well be a configurable option for everyone, filtered by default).
do i expect it to ever happen? yea, right. more likely that forum-related suggestions will be declared ban-on-sight.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:47 PM

Edit before I get banned for some stupid reason-
Old 02-22-2007, 07:50 PM

GA,

The way I remember things was that when Gildwulf became mod, some people started trolling him and made jewish insults etc. Gild obv didn’t like this and set up the notes on tone. The very first question was if ni44a plz was still aloud, big drama bomb, and lots of threads/posts with ni33a plz, etc. follow.

This went too far and 48 hours ensued, another big drama bomb. Some posters took it too far again, Citanul arrives and finally we have another big drama bomb. And when ppl figure out what they are allowed say that’s still potentially offensive then that will run rampant too before it’s sorted again (Note all the posts asking about the use of retarded).

Could this have been handled better, yeah obviously. But we really can’t blame Gild for setting up the notes on tone in the first place. Maybe it could have been implemented better, maybe not. In retrospect banning SoA and leaving it at that might have worked. Or just banning Yves and ignoring the spamming of BBV4L until it blew over, since nobody had any real objections to the banning. Or perhaps some choice bannings in the beginning might have worked, who knows?

Of course we can never go back to the pre-mod times, but that had it’s problems too, hence the big ‘we need a mod’ drama bomb that happened.

Personally I hate all this drama bomb nonsense and just want to MSPaint Sklansky’s head onto something, is that too much to ask?
Closed Thread