Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2006, 07:38 PM

Default beyond bluffs and beyond tells

any thought on these two books. i leafed through them the other day, and they looked alright. has anyone actually read them. i couldnt find any reviews .. thank you
Old 10-22-2006, 04:51 AM

Default Re: beyond bluffs and beyond tells

[ QUOTE ]
any thought on these two books. i leafed through them the other day, and they looked alright. has anyone actually read them. i couldnt find any reviews .. thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't read "Beyond Bluffs" yet. My review of "Beyond Tells" is here:

http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/reviews/...ond_tells.html
Old 10-22-2006, 06:06 AM

I have not read it yet, but I'd probably be cautious. My last book on tells was "Ultimate Guide to Poker Tells". I found it to just be a very micro (& watered down) version of Mike Caro's original works. If you could only chose between Caro's book & this one, the choice is easy, don't waste your money.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:34 AM

As the co-author of The Ultimate Guide to Poker Tells, I'm sorry you didn't find it more valuable. The main audience we were going for was new players who don't really know much about tells. While Caro's book is a classic, it's way out of date. I actually feel our book is better, because it deals with the general physiological and psychological reasons behind tells, how they fit into an overall approach to the game (ie. complementing solid strategic play and reading of betting patterns). I also think our focus on tells in N/L and limit he (Caro focuses mainly on draw, which was a very different game) is more relevant for players today. Most comments I've heard so far on the book have been very positive -- and it continues to sell very well (generally in the top 25 poker books at Amazon). However I have heard complaints from experienced players who wanted more specific tells and less general info. That's something we're considering expanding on for a future edition, so I'd be interested to know if that would have made the book more valuable to you.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As the co-author of The Ultimate Guide to Poker Tells, I'm sorry you didn't find it more valuable. The main audience we were going for was new players who don't really know much about tells. While Caro's book is a classic, it's way out of date. I actually feel our book is better, because it deals with the general physiological and psychological reasons behind tells, how they fit into an overall approach to the game (ie. complementing solid strategic play and reading of betting patterns). I also think our focus on tells in N/L and limit he (Caro focuses mainly on draw, which was a very different game) is more relevant for players today. Most comments I've heard so far on the book have been very positive -- and it continues to sell very well (generally in the top 25 poker books at Amazon). However I have heard complaints from experienced players who wanted more specific tells and less general info. That's something we're considering expanding on for a future edition, so I'd be interested to know if that would have made the book more valuable to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought this book as one out of 30 in Iraq and it was not that bad. They even tell you in the book that caro's is outdated and ther is some good stuff in the book.

Personally I liked the tall tales section
+ caro's book did not have a section on protecting yourself from angle shooting.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the kind words. Hope your tour went okay -- how was serving over there?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the kind words. Hope your tour went okay -- how was serving over there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Facts are facts. I paid for the book I read the book I actually got a lot out of it.

A lot of the books I bought are garbage. This one was helpful.

One question I can't find a reference in the book on the front cover.
The 4 pictures on the cover from top to bottom
Hellmuth,Darden, Moneymaker, Doyle ????
I know moneymaker and doyle I was not so sure on darden and the first picture ?
Old 10-24-2006, 12:24 PM

both these books look decent to me... just a matter of how many books i need to read.

i also agree that while caro's book is an absolute classic, it's pretty out of date. and i think that "beyond tells" both builds on it and has lots of unique content ..... navarro's (out this week???) should do the same.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However I have heard complaints from experienced players who wanted more specific tells and less general info.

[/ QUOTE ]

After all the time that has passed since Caro’s original research, yes I would have looked forward to more in this area. I didn’t know that this book was aimed more for beginners, but the title seemed to have mislead me then.

Anyhow, the price of this book is cheaper than Caro’s, so that is a plus, but I still think Caro’s comes out on top, even though it was written many years ago now. His stuff still does apply today, and this is one reason it is still such a hot item. Ok, so there is a chapter in here on angle-shooting… well really this is just a few short pages. There have been many books written soley on the topic of angle shooting, from one end to the other, so I still didn’t see too much of the point. If someone truly feels they need to protect themselves from this, there are volumes out there to read on this issue. A few pages really isn’t going to educate them that much.

Anyhow, this will probably be seen as an attack on the authors, I can’t help that. I do try to avoid such things. Just giving my honest opinion that I myself found it very lacking and didn’t put it down after reading feeling I learned anything. Now granted, I have been around the block many times, and have come a long way since the Caro edition… so this could bias some things.

Hopefully the next version changes my viewpoint, but we shall see. I just don’t see anyone being impacted by this one NEARLY as much as they were from Caro’s.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:44 PM

Have not read beyond bluffs. Found Beyond tells interesting.

I think Caro’s book of tells, The Ultimate Guide to Poker Tells and by Beyond Tells, compliment each other well and would recommend reading the trio.

Both TUGTPT and BT kind of assume the reader is familiar with CBOT while both introduce new ideas.