Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 01:26 PM

Default General Gambling Books

I usually hate these “What’s your favorite poker books”-threads, but here I am asking the same dumb question.

I own about 15 poker books, and as I just started working in the e-gaming industry, I thought it might be time to pick something up on gambling in general. Especially on sports betting. I just want to participate in the bookie-small-talk in the cigarette breaks, and maybe place some bets my self...

So, any pointers, what general gambling books would you recommend? Top 3 list would be nice [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

What about these ones;
Gambling for a Living, David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth.
Gambling Theory and Other Topics, Mason Malmuth.
Getting the Best of It, David Sklansky.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:00 PM

Default Re: General Gambling Books

[ QUOTE ]

Especially on sports betting. I just want to participate in the bookie-small-talk in the cigarette breaks, and maybe place some bets my self...

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion the intersection set between good sports betting books and good general gambling books is the null set. Since you seem to be interested in the basics of sports betting, I'll recommend you order "Sports Betting 101" by Lang from the Gambler's Book Club.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I usually hate these “What’s your favorite poker books”-threads, but here I am asking the same dumb question.

I own about 15 poker books, and as I just started working in the e-gaming industry, I thought it might be time to pick something up on gambling in general. Especially on sports betting. I just want to participate in the bookie-small-talk in the cigarette breaks, and maybe place some bets my self...

So, any pointers, what general gambling books would you recommend? Top 3 list would be nice [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

What about these ones;
Gambling for a Living, David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth.
Gambling Theory and Other Topics, Mason Malmuth.
Getting the Best of It, David Sklansky.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gambling for a Living and Getting the Best of It are both good books covering many general gambling concepts, including some stuff on sports betting.

The best book specifically on sports betting is Wong's Sharp Sports Betting. It doesn't tell you how to figure out whether Denver +3 is a good line, but it does cover the underlying math relevant to sports betting very well.

Finally, if you want to "participate in the bookie-small-talk in the cigarette breaks," the book for you is James Jeffries' The Book on Bookies.

Nick didn't link to his own site in the previous post, but he's reviewed all of the books mentioned so far in this thread here.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:44 PM

Default thx

thx npc and maurile!
Old 09-29-2006, 03:51 PM

I just reread Blackbelt in Blackjack. Even though it is very specific to blackjack, it covers the subjects of EV, BR requirements, ruin, and other general gambling concepts pretty well. I started a thread about it a few weeks ago.