Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Law School Application Time

What does URM stand for? I went to law school, and I've never heard this term (although I can infer its meaning from the posts in this thread). Something like under-represented minority?
Old 11-22-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you didn't ask around enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf???
Old 11-23-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does URM stand for? I went to law school, and I've never heard this term (although I can infer its meaning from the posts in this thread). Something like under-represented minority?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes
Old 11-23-2007, 03:42 PM

Well now I'm leaning mostly towards taking a year off after I graduate. What would you guys recommend doing with this year to give my 'soft' factors the biggest boost? Travel and experience other cultures? Get some more work experience? If its WE, would any job be good, or should it be one more closely tied to the legal profession? I currently work as a bartender, love the job, and the money is better than most other things I could do.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:52 AM

is a 2.6/177 about the same as a 3.6/165 or whatever the op has?

its what im sporting and altho i got fee waivers from some good schools i figured my chances were pretty slim so i was thinking of blowing off the applications since im not so sure about going to law school anyway. but if i got a chance i might actually write a real PS.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is a 2.6/177 about the same as a 3.6/165 or whatever the op has?

its what im sporting and altho i got fee waivers from some good schools i figured my chances were pretty slim so i was thinking of blowing off the applications since im not so sure about going to law school anyway. but if i got a chance i might actually write a real PS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone on LSN got into Northwestern last year with 2.63/177. The other person in your range got into Columbia, but they had significant post-UG experience (starting a Fortune 500).
Old 11-25-2007, 01:15 PM

1. fee waivers don't mean anything. top schools give them out to everyone so that they get tons of apps and their % accepted stats look better as a result.

2. 2.6 gpa is pretty bad, and when they see the 177, they are going to assume you are a lazy smart kid. lazy people don't make good lawyers. unless you had like a 2.0 your first two years and then 3.7 your last two or something, its not gonna be an easy road for you at top schools.

if you're not sure about law school anyway then don't go. there are a lot of people dead set on law school that end up hating it. the % of those that came to law school unsure and end up hating it is much higher.

go out and get some work experience in a legal setting and then decide what you want to do. maybe take some classes to bring your GPA up if you can. you aren't going to be pulling scholarships, so decide for sure this is what you want before you drop $150k on law school.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:59 PM

Only skimmed the thread, so this might have been mentioned, but anyway.

I for one didn't send the same letter to all school.

I had like a 4-5 paragraph letter, and the second to last one was different for each school I applied to. Basically, I briefly researched each school and found something they seem proud of (i.e. a int'l exchange program, an emphasis on a particular area of law or geographical considerations) that I could somehow tie into my background/UG transcript and I talked about that. Also, if there were any names I could drop, i.e. a faculty member whose work I did research on or something, then I did that too.

Its a little extra work, but it makes them feel like you are actually interested in going to their school as opposed to just any law school that will have you, and I was told prior to applying by a few people that they like that.