Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-30-2007, 04:36 AM

Default Re: What exactly does \"time\" mean?

I have also hear (and have used) 'Time' as a 'Time out' indication when I believe action should stopped for some reason. An example is where I am ponder my hand (in a limit game) for a few seconds and players after me continue to act (fold). Also if I see some kind of action that I don't beleive is right and I think that everyone should stop for a second (especially with a weak dealer) to figure out what is going on.

Calling a clock on someone (over glorified with TV tournament poker) would involve terms like 'can I get a clock on him?' and should never be used in a live game situation (IMHO)
Old 11-30-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's also to prevent problems when people start acting after you by accident

[/ QUOTE ]

This is precisely the reason why people say "time." AFAIK, it goes back to the original Gardena card rooms, and is insurance against people angleshooting you by mucking their hands out of turn before you have a chance to act, and thus killing your action. Many of the games used to be player-dealt (!), and with no professional center dealer to keep things in line and a bunch of rough characters, all sorts of things are possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Gardena the little old lady poker players would even shout "time" when reaching into their handbags to pay a cashier at the grocery store.

~ Rick
Old 11-30-2007, 10:26 AM

Oddly enough we had a conversation about this topic at a table a couple weeks ago. A couple dealers and dual-rates playing at the table said "players who call 'time' have technically just asked for a clock on themselves--it doesn't mean what they think it means."
Old 11-30-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oddly enough we had a conversation about this topic at a table a couple weeks ago. A couple dealers and dual-rates playing at the table said "players who call 'time' have technically just asked for a clock on themselves--it doesn't mean what they think it means."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's kinda why I started this thread - I was curious if ppl were inadvertently calling a clock on themselves in the process but at least at the rooms I've played I've never seen a clock get invoked or anything.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A couple dealers and dual-rates playing at the table said "players who call 'time' have technically just asked for a clock on themselves--it doesn't mean what they think it means."

[/ QUOTE ]

Dealers and dual-rates often don't know what they are talking about.

How did they say you were supposed to state that you are still thinking and have not checked, in order to preserve your right to act on your hand?
Old 11-30-2007, 05:14 PM

It's a courtesy to the table, and it helps everyone remain clear on the action.

The player informs the dealer he needs time -- this is done so the dealer knows that the player isn't just zoning out, but is actually considering a tough decision.

The dealer repeats this to the players -- this is done so the players know that dealer isn't zoning out either, but is holding the action for a specific player who is weighing a specific and difficult decision.

The table now knows where the action is, why it's holding, and that the dealer is on top of it. Out-of-turn action is prevented, and unwarranted prompting of the player and the dealer are avoided, as well.

This is what happens at a good and courteous table [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

q/q
Old 11-30-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling a clock on someone (over glorified with TV tournament poker) would involve terms like 'can I get a clock on him?' and should never be used in a live game situation (IMHO)

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? Never? Do you play in any low limit NL games where you pay time and there are 3 or 4 WSOP main event wannabees with the ipod-hoodie-oakley on? Some of them would take over 30 seconds pre-flop on every hand if they were allowed.

These guys kill the mood for the good spots in the game who are there to gambool it up in a fast paced game.

I call time liberally in a timed game if this is happening. First I try a few well placed words and questions about why it takes so long to fold 92o.

In a raked game I have far more patience, but after 2 minutes in a low-limit NL game, if it's not a huge pot, I call time as well.