Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:39 AM

Default Re: I will mentor you for free

I am a 20 year old student also from leeds, uk and have been playing poker a couple of years, taking it more seriously since the start of the year. I have played sngs on pokerstars for the past year, building up from 6's to 114's making around $15000. I have won the 25k guaranteed on pokerstars for $8400 and recently won a live £300 freezeout at sheffield naps owlerton for £4300. My current bankroll is around $20000 and I have recently decided to take a break from tournaments to learn cash games. I have bought a cardrunners subscription and have been playing 2/4 on stars for the past week or so and am really enjoying the different dynamics and levels of thought that occur in cash game poker. I take the game very seriously and am very much a student of it, however I only have possibly 2 friends who are on a similar level of playing/take the game as seriously as me that I can discuss hands with. I don't have a huge post count on this forum but I have a blog you could look over to get a better idea of me as a person and a poker player http://patonius2000.livejournal.com/

If you need any more information let me know. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks
Rob.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. How you are currently improving your game
2. Your poker goals.
3. Your current stakes and past earnings
4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made.
5. A little about yourself. If you're capable and willing to run the site and videos include that in your reply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, I want to apply.

I'm currently reading Holdem NL Theory by Sklansky, next on my list is the Mathematics of Poker that I had already received. I play every day, and I try to analyze a few key hands a day for street by street analysis of EV. I try to keep up with the poker software that is in the market that can help me improve my game. I stopped playing other games for fun to concentrate on NL holdem, I loved to play 2-7 lowball triple draw, and I did pretty well on it. I want to write my own poker calculator, combining some features from Equilator, Holdem Ranger and Pro Poker Tools simulator, I'm in the middle of the super fast 7 cards evaluator engine. I've subscribed.

2. Your poker goals.

To be a professional poker player, not more, not less.

Ive started playing for play money, then sold it for 4.50 and went up to around USD 4000 (played from 0.01/0.02 up to 2/4). Then again, went up to USD 1800 and lost it again. And now I've started again and I'm playing 0.10/0.25 with USD 700 (will move to 0.25/0.50 when I get to 16 buy ins). So, earnings are USD 800 total (including my CardRunner suscription that I bought).

Equity from playing a small pair against a big pair
Computation of the balanced % of pot bet to be AI in n chunks (chunks in the way Sklansky uses on NL Holdem Theory).

5. A little about yourself. If you're capable and willing to run the site and videos include that in your reply.

I'm 41, I have a degree in computer science, and work for like 15 years in computer science. Then I moved my focus from computer to investments, and made a Master on Finances. I've invested in a lot of different instruments (convertible bonds, public and private equity), and I see poker both as a pasion and as an investment.

Regards ...
Old 11-21-2007, 09:58 AM

1. I am playing a ton of hands, reading 2+2 watching select cardrunners and stox videos, also doing decent amount of pokerstoving.
2. I want to play and beat 50/100.
3. I play 3/6 and 5/10. I won $150k over 200k hands of MSNL.
4. I haven't posted ground breaking theory posts. I am mainly thinking about theory on my own and using 2+2 to comment on hands. This seems to be a trend in 2+2 as most people don't fully explain their thought processes but just provide an advice on what should be done in the hand.

This is an interesting hand I posted v. recently:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post13058298

Pretty old hand:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post9440044
Look at the equity calculation 7 hands from OP.

5. I am 24 y.o. Ivy League grad. After graduating from the US moved back to Europe (fishy sites [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) and plan to play until I reach 50/100 then I will look for a trading job in London.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read the applications yet just skimmed but it does seem there aren't that many applications that want to run the website. The website is going to be extremely basic, a private log in for each student, a place to download videos (or we can use one of the free uploading sites) and a forum just for articles/hands/chat.

Being able and willing to do this will greatly increase your chances of getting in it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, if I get selected I'll take care of the web site, I didn't wanted as I already left my computer science life behind except for my calculator project, but I'm willing to do it to get in here.

Regards ...
Old 11-21-2007, 10:08 AM

Honestly, i'm not doing enough of this. I do all the usual stuff such as reviewing my hands in PT, discussing hands with others over MSN and reading strategy forums. But in doing this I often hit a ceiling of learning/understanding which I struggle to get passed, then one day further down the line I have a eureka moment and things kinda fall in place. I don't think I am making these sessions as useful as they could be though, which I feel hinders my learning to some extent. I would obv like to improve on this.

2. Your poker goals.

I would like to become a consistent MSNL winner with a decent win rate. I gain great pleasure from playing poker and playing it well, I don't really want to get to the point that poker becomes a big stress in my life. I would be happier playing slightly lower stakes for a higher PTBB/100 than I would playing slightly higher for a larger $ win rate but more variance and stress.

Currently playing NL200, and have been regularly for the last couple of months. This is all the hands in my current database.

Sorry, I don't really have any.

I'm 29, live in the UK and work full time as a Web Developer.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:16 AM

hi jay,

i got into online poker a couple of years ago, but only for play money, at first. i didn't want to make a deposit, because i was afraid that i would just lose it all. one day, my roommate was playing and had to go out to dinner. he offered to buy me into a sng. i was nervous about losing his money, but he didn’t care and entered me into a $5.50 nl sng before leaving. i was determined to focus and not lose. i managed to get first place and was ecstatic. i was also hooked.

the next day i opened my own account and deposited $50. i was intimidated by nl, so i started with limit. i wanted to prepare myself, so i read through the strategy section on pokerstars that chris moneymaker had written (lol, thanks chris). it wasn't very long, but it taught me the basics. i began playing limit cash and was immediately successful. i was a winner from day one and have never had to redeposit. at some point i switched to limit sngs and really enjoyed them. i had great success there, as well. i felt pretty much indestructible. i was just crushing my competition (lol $5 sngs). however, i never really moved up much through the stakes--i was a nervous wreck if i entered a $20 sng.

eventually, i got interested in nl sngs. it was more exciting and there was more action. i entered a nl sng and it was like pure zen. i knew exactly what to do and cruised to a first place finish. i realized that i was quite capable of beating the nl games and switched full time to nl sngs (i had no idea about sample sizes, etc. and winning one was enough for me to think i was capable). i ran sick good. my roi was somewhere near 40% over my first 1500 sngs (including limit). i was playing 16s and 27s and doing well, when i just hit some kind of wall and starting losing. i was misapplying some concepts that i had "learned" from reading stt and it just destroyed my game.

i added mtts into the mix and did well. ever the nit, i built a bankroll on a new site that allowed players to enter real money freerolls even without depositing. i won enough money in the freerolls to enter real tourneys and parlayed that into a nice return. this maintained my interest in poker.

i was determined to get my sng winnings back to where they had been and i was able to figure out some of what i was doing wrong and earned back the money i had lost, but it was still quite a grind and i wasn't really getting anywhere.

though a 2p2er, i didn't make much use of the strat forums. i would occasionally post a hand or make a comment about someone else's hand, but this represented <5% of my posts (this is the only area where i miss on your list). i was just wasting my time on the boards and with poker. when i played i wasn't concentrating and it was just pointless.

a couple of months ago i had had enough. i was frustrated that my game hadn’t progressed much at all, especially in comparison to someone like aba who was at the same level i was a couple of years ago and now, well, you know. i wasn't making enough money to justify the amount of time i was spending on poker. i decided that i was going to learn 6max cash, as that is where everyone said the money was. no more messing around with sngs or mtts. i didn't do very well, at first. then i found out about a small stakes coach and decided to make the investment. it helped me open up my game and kill some of that nit in me. i'm working with two coaches now and feeling pretty solid, though i'm still at the baby stakes, having not played higher than 100nl. i've started to ween myself off of wasting so much time joking around on 2p2, though i still do too much. i've also started posting more in strat, though i still need to do more of that.

i have a very strong willingness to help others. just yesterday someone posted a downswing graph in bbv and he seemed pretty down on life, as he had some other lousy things happening. i felt bad for him and pmed a suggestion to get a uNL coach. i was going to recommend one of the guys that i am working with, but he said that he couldn’t afford it, so i offered to give him some free coaching. i sweated him last night and talked him through his leaks and spent a few hours writing up my advice. between last night and tonight he has basically recovered from his downswing. he told me that i have revolutionized his game and he can’t even explain how much better he is doing and feeling. he was just about to quit poker once he cleared a bonus, but now he’s moving forward with confidence. i can pm you his name if you’d like to talk to him and i can pm you all of the stuff that i wrote up for him in lieu of links to some good strat posts, as i don’t have much in that regard.

when i was doing very well at poker, i started a free instructional website (thepoker10.com--it's offline now). i wanted to help all of the people that were wasting money at poker. it never really got off the ground, but i do have experience with working on websites and would be happy to run that side of things for you and our group of players/mentors.

your timeline is perfect for me. in september, i will be going to grad school to get my phd in marital and family therapy. i am devoting the next eight or so months to personal improvement, rather than employment. i will be studying piano with canada’s godfather of the 88 keys, working weekly with my tennis coach, learning a new language and studying poker--i want to really get a solid grasp, so that when i am in school i can play part-time and have a good earn, as i will not have much time for studying poker then.

your vision for this five months is also perfect for me. i really just want/need a group of players to work with in this way, helping each other to focus, think, and be accountable. this will be about as close to ideal a situation as i could ask for. i feel that i have a good grasp of the basics, but i have a strong desire to take it to the next level. i feel like i can only beat average players and not good ones. i am hesitant about moving up, as i feel that i won't be able to compete against stronger opponents. i would like to overcome that line of thinking and gain confidence to beat better villains. i am eager to work on the intricacies of the game with other players. i am not satisfied with knowing enough to beat the games. i enjoy analyzing things from different angles and really want the chance to develop a deeper understanding. abc bores me: i seek the rest of the alphabet.

jay, i admire you for doing this and hope that someday i will be in a position where i can do the same. thank you for the opportunity to be considered and i look forward to hearing from you soon.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:18 AM

How you are currently improving your game
I currently have a list of 2p2ers on my aim and try to converse with them any difficult hands that I have. I go through every session via PT and look at the hands that gave me trouble then ask my aimlist about them. If I’m feeling froggy I’ll post something in ssnl, but I really hate ssnl because 99% of the people there don’t know what they’re doing, or just make retarded posts constantly.

Your poker goals.
I want to make the most money that I am capable of making at this game. I want to be the best and I want to make the most money. I will propel myself to these lofty goals with delusions of grandeur until I wake up one morning in a ditch with a needle in my arm, then I’ll work at mcdonalds or something.

I have an insatiable desire to improve at this game. It’s like nothing else in my life. I don’t know if I’m heading down a path for disappointment, but I do know I want to improve as much as I can. I think about hands all day long, analyzing, reviewing and theorizing. I really need some guidance.

if you want some numbers:

100k hands at NL100. ideally 6ptbb, but really just solid hands that i don't spew.

100k hands at NL200. finally maintain a decent winrate at this level.

after that, dominate MSNL. and beyond. haven't gotten past my first goal yet...tho...

overall i have one goal at this game: to improve. i don't let ego, attitude, ethnicity or anything else stand in the way of reaching this goal.

Your current stakes and past earnings

I have graphs from my old database I can pull up if you really want to feel bad for someone.

A few examples of good strategy posts you have made.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post11453673

anything in the sttf cash thread

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post8821262

A little about yourself.

I used to play NL200, then NL400, then downswonged now NL100 with some NL200 when I feel like losing all my profit from NL100. I had a coach and he helped me a lot, but I’m still not able to win at NL200 so I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I’ve actually been thinking about putting something like this together, only without a sick player to head it up.

I am really turned off to 90% of the strategy that goes on in 2p2. I think that something like this is brilliant and is exactly the type of place I would want to put a lot of my time, effort and energy into. This type of operation has limitless possibilities for all parties involved and I feel like this is what I need to take my game to the next level.

boring stuff: i'm 21 junior psych major at some university. poker takes up 80% of my brain power and life efforts. i played sngs for a year and i'm approaching my first year of cash this jan. i've come a long way but i'm still not satisfied with my progress.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:32 AM

Let's take a shot too..

1. How you are currently improving your game 2. Your poker goals. 3. Your current stakes and past earnings 4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made. 5. A little about yourself.

Talking with other players about hands (IRC/irl). I have a 1000+ posts on a dutch poker forum. Not very active on 2p2 though. This has helped me to get from a $10 roll (:P) to a 1k roll in cashgames. I also joined cardrunners a few months ago and it's gold.
I also have a blog in which I decribe a few hands, and talking about the changes/leaks in my game. I'm doing it mostly just for myself but the strategic reply's from some people reading my blog are also very nice.

I really like te game of poker and my goal is to move up in stakes. I would really like the spot that I can cashout a decent amount so that I don't have te get a (small)job besides college + poker. So I'm now expanding my bankroll to get to 100NL/200NL.

I really didn't put in a lot of hands. I think my total hands played is like 70k. Though I have had a nice winrate overall. I currently playing 25NL which I pretty much destroy. I am overrolled for this limit but I dropped 16bi's at 50NL, so I'm trying to get back my confidence and I transformed my game from a 16/12 style to 20/19. That new style has a lot of success over the last hands. I really think my postflop abilities have had big improvements playing this style. Getting back to 50NL as soon as I am really confident in my game, and when the money doesn't tilt me anymore.

didn't post that much on 2p2 and most other posts are in dutch.
Though here some examples
Here
Here
Here

Here

I'm 22 years old. Student at "Delft University of Technology" studying "Industrial Design Engineering". I like to sport, having a good time with friends yadayadayada. Poker is just a game I like very much and I'm thrived to get very good at it. I've had a lot of learning experience the past year (playing up to 50NL). Had difficulties getting in a lot of hands. The past months I learned to playing well on 4-6 tables. I did put in some more hands per hour, but also didn't put in the time I would like to because a very busy period regarding my study. I now really really destroy 25NL over the past 30k hands and am eager to play for more serious stakes in the future.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:52 AM

My application:

- Reading strat forums
- Watching cardrunners vids
- Getting coached
- Talking to friends about specific hands/theory on aim/msn

2. Your poker goals.
- To become the best player i can be.
- To move from being a full-time grinder to a professional.

NL200 6-max (have had to drop down from NL400-600 after a downswing)
About $60,000 in the last 12 months

- Not exactly strategy posts but I've made about 10 tutorial videos which have been watched by a lot of 2p2ers and which have received positive feedback

- I'm 27 & live in the UK. Been playing poker for 4 years. Been living off my winnings for 18 months. I have no immediate plan for the future apart from poker. If poker doesn't work out, I will probably return to studying and get a masters.
- I would not be able to run the site but can makes vids.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am limiting the number of tables I play so I can spend more time on decisions, actively weighing the pros and cons of each, and trying to determine whether another line would make more sense against my particular opponent's range.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Your poker goals.

[/ QUOTE ]
Improve as a player. Minimize tilt. Keep moving up limits where I have an edge, and for limits where I don't think I have an edge, have a big enough bankroll to be able to comfortably take shots when there is a spot. Psychologically be on the same or a higher level than my opponents.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
MSNL, mostly 3/6. Total earnings roughly 160k.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't really have many, because most of my strat posts are one-liners, but I do like my post in your OH O thread.

[ QUOTE ]
5. A little about yourself. If you're capable and willing to run the site and videos include that in your reply. Please apply ONLY in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm 23, I live in NY, have a dog, lived in South California for 9 months after graduating college, I have over 400 people on my AIM buddy list but I regularly talk to maybe 10. I can run the site with videos.
Closed Thread