Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 05:38 PM

Default 50NL - KQ BvB

Villain's 16/10/1.5 over 100 hands or so; seems straightforward and unremarkable. I have been running pretty cold at this table, something like 15/10. However, I have raised villain's blind every time over the last several orbits. He has folded or called and folded to a cbet every time.

This whole hand felt kind of weird. His range for a legitimate raise on this flop is very narrow, especially as he didn't 3bet PF. But either way, it seems he only has air or hands that beat me by the river.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($74.25)
MP ($87.25)
CO ($48.50)
Button ($74.95)
Hero ($55.45)
BB ($50.30)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $8</font>, Hero calls $5.

Turn: ($20) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

River: ($20) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

Final Pot: $20
Old 10-07-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Re: 50NL - KQ BvB

I would put him on a hand similar to yours with a King in it or a weak Ace, although I'd lean towards the weak Ace. Your call to his raise on the flop probably convinced him his weak Ace was no good. A reasonable bet by you on the river more than likely would have pushed him out but he may have called a value bet.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:50 PM

if the guy has been playing real tight, then why call his flop raise with 2nd pair oop? and if you think you're good there enough of the time to make that call, then why shut down when you improve to 2 pair?
Old 10-07-2007, 06:51 PM

I think flop bet is pretty bad.

Once you check the turn, I think river is the most obvious vbet.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if the guy has been playing real tight, then why call his flop raise with 2nd pair oop? and if you think you're good there enough of the time to make that call, then why shut down when you improve to 2 pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the villians is 16/10, the only thing he's got here is a set/AK/AQ or a bluff. Since he didn't reraise pf, a set is most likely. OP's hand is basically a bluff catcher here. A turn and river check/call are fine here, I think.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:37 PM

flop is okay if you know he raises your cbets with air a lot. i would've bet like 2.5-2.75 on the flop, but that's not particularly important. now that i think about it, i don't like flop as you said he's an "unremarkable 16/10/1.5," so him having air is really unlikely. i don't really like his line if he has a weak ace, though.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't like flop as you said he's an "unremarkable 16/10/1.5," so him having air is really unlikely. i don't really like his line if he has a weak ace, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fact that he's a nitty straightforward TAG makes it far more likely that he's raising this flop with air rather than with an Ace for value, especially with this BvB history. He flatcalled PF, so I can hardly expect him to have AK/KK/AA. Even if he decided to slowplay on a whim, would he really pounce with those hands on the flop?

My nose always twitches when villains with these or similar stats raise a dry Ace high flop. I mean if I'm beat here, I think it's by 33 like 90% of the time.

Anyway, I check the river because I figure he pretty much never has a hand that can call and I beat. Maybe he gets here with AJ or something once in a blue moon, but he's as likely to bet the river after I check twice as he is to call a bet with that hand.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the villians is 16/10, the only thing he's got here is a set/AK/AQ or a bluff. Since he didn't reraise pf, a set is most likely. OP's hand is basically a bluff catcher here. A turn and river check/call are fine here, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's 16/10 overall, not heads up.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:28 AM

I would only call this raise against a maniac bluffer but against this villain I fold the flop, as played I value bet half pot on the river.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:09 AM

why would you call his raise? you can only hope he checks it down, even if you have a lot of reasons to suspect he has air I don't think this is the case against this nitty player, even against a maniac who would have air often I would wait for a better chance...