Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 03:25 AM

Default How do you review your PT sessions?

I'm just sitting here reviewing my session and notes, and wondered if I could be doing it better. Couldn't find any older posts on it(though I'm sure there are somewhere...) so I'll ask[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I figured I'd show exactly how I go through and find out if anyone does it differently.

Single out a specific table during that session.

For people that don't know how to do this, you simply click the session note tab, and double click the row that the table you want to look at is in. Then return to the main screen and voila!

Review all the losers first.

This is why we bought PT right?(for me it was[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) I'll generally skim over the minor losers and quickly guage if a fold was hasty or not in the hh(usually not), but if it was a big loser I'll replay the hand. Generally I'll be able to find out the mistake I made, if not I'll try to post it.

Review the winners!!!

Haha, I'm a greedy bastard aren't I? The next set of hands I'll take a look at are the winners. I'll look to try to see if I could have extracted more money from anywhere. If I think I could have, I try to post the hand.

Review the position stats tab

This tab is becoming my best friend. It lets you know how much money you're losing from each position, and shows you all of the hands you played from there. Since I started 6-max it's been indespensable.

And basically this is what I do...just rinse and repeat for the rest of the tables I played. It usually takes me about 30 minutes or so to go through about 200-300 or so hands. It's a bit lenghty a time I guess but well worth it IMO.

If people have other tips or rituals they like to perform, please post them. I'd love to see if/how people use filters for their daily sessions: I'm gonna start trying them out soon and would love a quick tutorial [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2005, 04:04 AM

Default Re: How do you review your PT sessions?

I like the position stats too.
I'll generally filter out the blinds, then order my hands from biggest losers\hand and go from there.
Sometimes I'll filter for just offsuit hands or something else. I very rarely will review an entire session. Winning hands of mine definitely don't get enough attention.
I'm interested to see other replies.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:04 AM

for the most part i just have a pen and paper out (or i have notepad open). when something happens i simply write or type "K9o 34983" and look at it later. if i have notes/stats i used to make a play in the hand, i will write or type, "K9o 34983 notes xx/xx/xx." then, i import my notes and look at the hands.

obviously most of the time i spend just laughing at how perfectly i played, how i only bet and raised when i had the best of it and made miraculous folds when beaten, but occasionally i will find something where i missed a +0.02 bb value raise or i folded a hand where a call was +EV by approximately 0.04 BB.

after i look at all the specific hands, i usually drink beers and cry. i filter by session and i drink one beer for every 2 BB won or lost at a table.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
for the most part i just have a pen and paper out (or i have notepad open). when something happens i simply write or type "K9o 34983" and look at it later. if i have notes/stats i used to make a play in the hand, i will write or type, "K9o 34983 notes xx/xx/xx." then, i import my notes and look at the hands.

obviously most of the time i spend just laughing at how perfectly i played, how i only bet and raised when i had the best of it and made miraculous folds when beaten, but occasionally i will find something where i missed a +0.02 bb value raise or i folded a hand where a call was +EV by approximately 0.04 BB.

after i look at all the specific hands, i usually drink beers and cry. i filter by session and i drink one beer for every 2 BB won or lost at a table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Notepad's a good idea. Very good idea. A post of yours that was arrogant AND insightful. Holy cow[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2005, 05:05 AM

that's what you get when i finally come out of a poker rut. arrogance and insight, courtesy of yours truly.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:49 PM

I've used notepad for sesson notes before. It tends to get a little cumbersome after awhile.

I now use TiddlyWiki. Basically it is a self-contained wiki (using Javascript)- no configuration needed. I use it as a general note-taking device.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:00 PM

I use notepad, when I come across a hand that interests me, I'll pull up the hand history, paste it, and usually reads on players if I have them. This makes it a bit easier to post to 2+2 if there's not much else I need.

Other times I'll go back and review the hand myself on pt (the game # is right in the hand history obviously).
Old 10-15-2005, 03:25 PM

I have recently started copying and pasting hand histories right after they happen like the others mentioned (although anyone who's anyone uses Edit Plus, but that tiddlywiki looks very interesting) and that has actually been very helpful so far.

But I haven't been reviewing things in PT enough since I bought it. Good tips, thanks Lao Tzu.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:41 PM

that tidklywiki does look cool. I use memento to both cover my BR and take notes on hands that i want to review. Small, fast, and free man.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that tidklywiki does look cool. I use memento to both cover my BR and take notes on hands that i want to review. Small, fast, and free man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty neat note program...better than most that I've tried.