Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Documentaries

I watched I Like Killing Flies on the Netflix site the other night.

It follows Shopsin's restaurant in Greenwich Village in 2004 during its relocation to a new site.

It's really a character study of the patriarch of the Shopsin family, Kenny. A true, true, New Yorker.

I definitely want to eat at this place if I ever get to NY.

I won't come as part of a party of five, however.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:15 PM

I plan to watch the story of India
Old 10-26-2007, 06:56 PM

Ken Burns' "The War" on PBS has been great so far.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:31 PM

The Corporation is one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. It's just anti-capitalist fluff. A bunch of random scary music, qoutes taken out of context, and poorly constructed arguments about why every corporation is evil. In almost every example they give, you can make a much better case for placing the blame on fascist/corporatist governments than the corporations they're trying to vilify.

The qoute from Michael Moore at the very end is just priceless for it's hilarious logical fallacies and contradictions.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:32 PM

Choke

The documentary on Rickson Gracie and Graciejj.

You can get it on youtube.

Good stuff if you're into mma.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:10 AM

I watched Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus the other day and really enjoyed it. Nothing too profound or Earth-shattering, it's just a look at the South and some of the folk/bluegrass/alternative country music that is born there. I'd recommend it, especially if you're at all into that kind of music.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:58 AM

A few of these have been mentioned already:

Dark Days: About homeless people living underground in abandoned subway stations. What makes it stand out is the film-maker really following the lives of some of these guys and apparently even living down there for some time after becoming homeless himself. It really gives you a look at homeless people as actual people with their own story and problems that led them to be in the situation they are now trapped in.

A Century Of Self: This is a series, done by the BBC I think, I cant recommend this enough. Basically it details the initial use of Freudian psychology in marketing, and how that has developed into the self-obsessed consumer society that we (in most countries at least) are living in right now.

War Photographer: About famed photographer Jim Nachtwey. Extremely powerful documentary that takes you behind the scenes of many of his famous photographs. I found it particularly interesting for the discussion it raises about the role of the media - impartial viewing vs active participation - how that affects his work and larger implications.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Corporation is one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. It's just anti-capitalist fluff. A bunch of random scary music, qoutes taken out of context, and poorly constructed arguments about why every corporation is evil. In almost every example they give, you can make a much better case for placing the blame on fascist/corporatist governments than the corporations they're trying to vilify.

The qoute from Michael Moore at the very end is just priceless for it's hilarious logical fallacies and contradictions.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-28-2007, 09:57 PM

This hasn't been mentioned as far as I can tell, I payed attention to most of the posts...

Planet Earth, the Discovery channel's documentary on wildlife. They edited thousands of hours of filming over several years to collect the entire series. Totally awesome.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:02 AM

I just saw Run Granny Run on HBO last night. It's about a 94 yr old woman who ran for senate in New Hampshire. She ended up getting like 34% of the votes.