Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2006, 10:01 AM

Default dealing with maniac 70%+ vpip\'ers (no hand)

Don't know about the rest of you, but I've seen my share of maniac 70%+ vpip'ers have their fair share of success at short-handed tables, just steam-rolling the entire table.

It finally occurred to me this morning how to handle these suckers better. Normally it seems everyone gets all aggressive with them pre-flop and raise or re-raise them trying to isolate them. Then what happens of course, you miss the flop and he drives you into the ground with the pair of 5s on his j-5o.

I've had bad-stretches against these types myself. It finally occurred to me that if everyone just limped in against him with pretty much everything and quit trying to iso him, eventually everyone would get paid off.

Right?
Old 05-20-2006, 10:41 AM

Default Re: dealing with maniac 70%+ vpip\'ers (no hand)

I don't know about that but iso raising is fun! And calling down against these opponents is profitable as hell. Keep isolating them. Variance happens.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about that but iso raising is fun! And calling down against these opponents is profitable as hell. Keep isolating them. Variance happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but... if he bets 95% of flops, and you only bet those flops you hit, and then say and extra 35% with stuff like ace and king high for the maniac factor, he'll still has a good chance of getting you because of 30%+ time you fold.

I think the maniac 70% vpip is actually a very effective style at 6-max if he can always get heads up.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but... if he bets 95% of flops, and you only bet those flops you hit, and then say and extra 35% with stuff like ace and king high for the maniac factor, he'll still has a good chance of getting you because of 30%+ time you fold.

I think the maniac 70% vpip is actually a very effective style at 6-max if he can always get heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

no way man, just call down with more marginal stuff, UI mid-low PP's, A hi, maybe even K hi if he's betting out nearly all boards like you say
Old 05-20-2006, 11:04 AM

It's best when you get it HU vs. these maniacs. Start calling him down with any piece and A-high. Go nuts only when you have something good, otherwise call. Call button is your best friend when playing against this opposition. They will own you if you start raising w/ crap because they can adjust too.
After a few call downs he WILL go on tilt and he WILL donate his money [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. The trick is: you have to call more. You don't start folding more when opponents get more aggressive.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The trick is: you have to call more. You don't start folding more when opponents get more aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I just haven't had as much success this way. Sometimes it works, but I get pwned even worse other times to be honest.

I just think if everyone limps and doesnt give him the odds to chase by raising pf, everyone can just take their turns picking him off when they hit.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:34 AM

That works too if you like sharing money with other opponents.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:46 PM

Just keep isoraising these guys. The key is to not try to outplay them postflop. Get your marginal hands to showdown cheaply and don't get caught up in the raising game postlfop until you've got a solid hand.

I guess it also depends on the table dynamic. If you've got a lot off loose opponents behind you who aren't going to let you get heads up vs this guy, you should porbably tighten up your Isoraising standards a bit.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:05 PM

My advice is to just avoid these guys. Fold when against them, and let me handle them.

I'll take care of them for you.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:33 PM

very witty.