FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 9. FR SB w/ AKo
Raise 26 63.41%
Call 12 29.27%
Fold 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Re: A-Rod opts out of contract

This thread needs less Yankees talk and more talk about where A-rod is headed.

There is a Yankees offseason thread for that stuff, use it.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but an entirely irrelevant in the real world, because it is an impossibility of actually happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes a lot of things totally worthless then, no?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the blame for A-Rod leaving is the FO's fault though, I think that it was Boras' and A-Rod's prerogative to hit the open market, not based on a bad offer from NY.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with saying that if someone opts out you won't go into a bidding war, especially when A-Rod opting out costs the Yankees 25 million from the Rangers.

But I do agree that fans that are killing A-Rod and think the Yankees will be better without him are wrong.

I guess this is what we deserve for so many people booing him for 2plus years, and its probably the same people who booed him that are complaining about him leaving.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first 2 points are correct. The second 2 are likely correct but unprovable and ultimately meaningless. I'm sure it will be second two which attract the most interest among this thread's posters.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread needs less Yankees talk and more talk about where A-rod is headed.

There is a Yankees offseason thread for that stuff, use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's already a thread about where A-Rod is headed next year too.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but an entirely irrelevant in the real world, because it is an impossibility of actually happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you define irrelevant and worthless the same.

But no, I would not take 25 players of Eckstein's statistical profile over 25 players of A-Rod's statistical profile. However, 25 players of A-Rod's personality would seem to have as much a chance of personality dysfunctionality keeping them from winning a World Series, as the talent level of those 25 players would have of getting to that point in the first place.

I'm not the only one who considers A-Rod subtraction by addition, either.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the blame for A-Rod leaving is the FO's fault though, I think that it was Boras' and A-Rod's prerogative to hit the open market, not based on a bad offer from NY.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with saying that if someone opts out you won't go into a bidding war, especially when A-Rod opting out costs the Yankees 25 million from the Rangers.

But I do agree that fans that are killing A-Rod and think the Yankees will be better without him are wrong.

I guess this is what we deserve for so many people booing him for 2plus years, and its probably the same people who booed him that are complaining about him leaving.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first 2 points are correct. The second 2 are likely correct but unprovable and ultimately meaningless. I'm sure it will be second two which attract the most interest among this thread's posters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the second two points are unprovable, just a matter of opinion.

I just think its unfair to be like "[censored] you A-Rod for leaving," when a large amount of people were booing the hell out him before this season.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you define irrelevant and worthless the same.

But no, I would not take 25 players of Eckstein's statistical profile over 25 players of A-Rod's statistical profile. However, 25 players of A-Rod's personality would seem to have as much a chance of personality dysfunctionality keeping them from winning a World Series, as the talent level of those 25 players would have of getting to that point in the first place.

I'm not the only one who considers A-Rod subtraction by addition, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quality sample size to judge A-Rod's personality.

Matter of fact, what correlation is there to personality wrt baseball skill?

I'd sure want A-Rod's personality every time if it gives me that much ability.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Matter of fact, what correlation is there to personality wrt baseball skill?

[/ QUOTE ]

About as much correlation as there is between any single given player's skill and that team winning a World Series, perhaps?

[ QUOTE ]
I'd sure want A-Rod's personality every time if it gives me that much ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a perfectly valid position to take, but if you turn that around, two teams that took Eckstein's personality over A-Rod's talent have World Series rings.

Yeah, that's a slight level. Of course A-Rod is a hugely more talented player (I don't know the number, but I can only imagine the difference in VORP). But if personality is a completely meaningless contribution to a team, why does Eckstein have two rings and A-Rod none?

A rhetorical question, I know, and it is most likely impossible to quantify clubhouse chemistry impacting a team's chances to win. However, that impossibility does not mean players' personalities have zero affect whatsoever.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:38 PM

For all of those proclaiming the Yankees as a non-playoff team without A-Rod, could you please share your thoughts on the 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003 teams?

How on earth did they continuously go deep into the playoffs without him then?

Also, please state the four teams that will make the playoffs above the Yankees more often than not.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:51 PM

I am a proponent for the Yankees not resigning A-Rod IF it helps them acquire dominant pitching. As shown repeatedly, pitching wins championships. Sure, a quality lineup will help you get to the playoffs, but let's not be insane...an Arod-less lineup replaced by a mediocre 3b is still very good (even if it is for just the next year.) I know many of you will say they are getting old and declining, but I am just talking about NEXT YEAR. With their roster as it is, there is not a rational explanation of saying four other teams will make the playoffs more often than the Yankees.

Also, this talk about an unlimited bankroll is ridiculous. Of course there is a limit. If there wasn't, why wouldn't the best player at every position be on the team? Would Melky Cabrera be the starting CF on a team with an unlimited bankroll?