Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 11:11 PM

Default HU Limit

Hi,
I was just donking around at stars, so I saw the HU tables and thought to myself yeah I can lose $20 experimenting a bit and grabbed a seat at 0.50/1 limit and some guy sat down so I gave it a try, after a rough start I managed to take the donks stack and thought yeah this is fun, tried again and cleaned the other guy too, I got lucky of course and those guys were no good to help me further but the rake was god awful and no RB at stars of course, so the questions are:

1- What kind of bankroll should I be playing with? Too much variance?
2- Move to FT for some RB (and bonus) right?
3- Should I try NL? 50NL sounds ok or too much rake? I think there's no 50NLHU at FT, is that true?
4- Further reading? Either limit or NL, I got Winning In Though HE Games and about to start the HU after flop section, it should help but since it-s not 1-vs-1 specific (preflop) it might be too nitty, anyways it can't hurt I guess.
5- I've tried HUSNG's just a bit and did win a little but got bored and dropped it some time ago, should I try that again instead? Looks like the rake is going to eat me alive in cash games...

Many thanks!
Old 10-19-2007, 02:01 PM

Default Re: HU Limit

even at 2/4 the rake is brutal. I don't think I'm going to play much limcash below 5/10 anymore. And def not on stars.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
even at 2/4 the rake is brutal. I don't think I'm going to play much limcash below 5/10 anymore. And def not on stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed completely, the rake is a joke. Also one thing I find is that there about 90% of my 2/4 sessions where I lose a few big hands in the first few minutes, the people hit and run immediately, which is no fun. I know it's cause it's low stakes, and guys are just popping in to try and win a fast $40 or whatever, but nothing tilts me more than identifying that a guy is horrible, and then him leaving before I can exploit him.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:09 PM

Oh yeah and on your other questions, or some of them:

- LHE vs NLHE : play whichever you are better at or have more fun at. More NL games run though, and rake in them is much less for a game where you're buying in for a similar amount of $$ and playing an equivalent number of hands.

- FT has no 50NL it looks like, correct. I think 50NL on stars should be fine though as far as rake is concerned, it's obviously gonna be a bit higher than other limits, but your winrate is also gonna be way higher in this.

- further reading: there's a DVD on HU LHE actually, I think it's by Rolf Slotboom maybe? I saw clips of it on a sampler DVD that came with his PLO book, looked decent. And yeah, Stox's book you already have seems a logical read.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know it's cause it's low stakes,

[/ QUOTE ]

lol no, it isn't. The key is to a) understand their strategy and b) step on their necks when you get them stuck.