Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 08:24 AM

Default Re: how to find some 1 who will spot you?

lol ridiculous.. who really stakes people?

There was a 2+2er (low # of posts) who had PMed me and asked me how much I was making and I rather stupidly replied to that and it was the setup for this horrible question "WILL u stake Me for a tourney for a 50/50 spilt?"

You know this whole thread makes me now realize why this guy was silly enough to ask me this... ludicris! No decent poker player who doesn't know you wants to stake you. We will stake ourselves LOL!

Unless someone here is fabulously wealthy and wants to do some charity work.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:44 PM

Perhaps your employer could stake you. I think it is called a paycheck.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to steal the original posters thunder, as difficult as that may be, but i myself actually am interested in playing in the Sunday million but dont really want to have to stake myself for it. I play NL 100 @ Stars and my roll is about 3.5k (although i may move up soon.) I actually wouldnt mind having people buy some of my action, id be fine spending 50$ to maybe even 100$ but 215$ is a bit steep for me and I would like to try to minimize variance.

Ive done many an ICM calculation and would say im a solid player, respond here or pm me if you would consider it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the Sunday million competition like? Can someone beating 100NL expect to be +EV in it?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not to steal the original posters thunder, as difficult as that may be, but i myself actually am interested in playing in the Sunday million but dont really want to have to stake myself for it. I play NL 100 @ Stars and my roll is about 3.5k (although i may move up soon.) I actually wouldnt mind having people buy some of my action, id be fine spending 50$ to maybe even 100$ but 215$ is a bit steep for me and I would like to try to minimize variance.

Ive done many an ICM calculation and would say im a solid player, respond here or pm me if you would consider it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the Sunday million competition like? Can someone beating 100NL expect to be +EV in it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup
Old 10-11-2007, 03:01 PM

Regarding the original topic, I don't like the idea of backing in practice, though I fully understand the theory.

I have been backed at times for tournaments on the upper range of my bankroll. (I was playing them anyway, and friends offered unsolicited backing for nominal pieces). I will take backing in the future, but only from friends and generally will do them as swaps. I also will only take them for events I could (and would) play with my own money and for small pieces where the 'fun' factor is more important than the money.

Large scale backing just sucks, especially if there isn't many repetitions. Tournaments even the best players are expected to not cash.

And to those who would consider backing under the terms I've described, I do still advise caution. It is not fun to tell your friends why they owe you money (I bluffed all my money against a donkey who got lucky, etc), repeatedly ask them for said money, etc. It will also creep into your thoughts at inopportune times late - at least initially.

And any player who goes broke by making poor decisions gambling should never EVER be backed. This goes from anyone who tilts and plays higher than they should to people with a craps itch to people who just plain suck at poker.