Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
Based on the games Ive watched them both pitch this year, Kennedy was the better pitcher both by the numbers and by the way they looked. Thats not 2 say Hughes doesnt have more potential, but potential isnt always lived up too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you miss the games when Hughes looked unhittable?

I like Kennedy as much as the next guy, but come on.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:45 PM

Prop bet on Hughes vs Kennedy next year?
Old 10-09-2007, 04:46 PM

Pettites whole "big game pitcher" reputation is rather amusing. He is good in the playoffs but nowhere what the media makes it out to be (although after game 2 they creamed themselves over him)
With that said hes still a good pitcher, better than any option theyll be able to aquire (unless they get santana) so I hope they keep him. Havibng 3 guys in the rotation with less than 20 combine starts is a recipe for disaster.
Posada is a horrendous defensive catcher. 36 year old catchers don't suddenly peak. I hope they dont give him any more than 2 years. He should also be getting a lot more time as the DH. Giambi is awful give posada his abs.
If they could get Rowand to play center move Cabrera to right.

If you could trade for santana only do it if you can sign him to an extension. Theres no point in givng up joba or hughes if theyre only going to have him for a year. However if they could sign him to an extension not giving up hughes would be a huge mistake. I can think of a ton top notch cant miss pitching prospects in the last 15 or so years that have ammounted to almost nothing in the majors for a variety of reasons.

Torre needs to go. The only manager who ever made him look smart is Phil Garner. He cant even use rivera correctly any more.

Finally Rivera. If he walks Im canceling my season ticket plan plain and simple.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:47 PM

I didnt, but Hughes was very eratic , He looked brilliant 1 games, absolutly horrible the next. Kennedy was very solid and consistant in all his outings even though they were few. At this point we cant debate on whose the better pitcher, we can all agree Hughes has more potential, Im just not very high on power pitchers until they prove themselves.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the Yankees trade Hughes or Joba for Santana I will stop being a fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Johan projects way better for the next 5 years than either of them, and the money for the Yankees is irrelevant. why in the world wouldn't you want Johan for Hughes?

[/ QUOTE ]

One reason:

Hughes is 21.

Santana is 28.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reason 2:

you still have a shot at Santana/Sabathia after 2008 as FA.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:59 PM

I desperately want to see Hughes, Joba and Kennedy in the rotation next year. I can live with them learning on the job.

The only thing that worries me is innings. I assume at least Joba will have an innings cap next year (he's never thrown more than 120 in a season) and maybe Hughes too (about 150 last year, but only 110 this year).

We all saw this year that the middle relief is a disaster. They have to find a couple of reliable arms if two of the five starters are going to be 6-inning guys.

I also really hope Pettitte comes back and they find something to do with Mussina other than start him every five days.

As for Santana, I'm under the impression that he's not going to sign an extension at this point and he wants to test the market. I'd much rather wait a year and sign him when half the roster becomes free agents (Pettitte, Mussina, Giambi, Pavano, Farnsworth) than trade for him.

I'll happily take the lumps that come with starting three rookies this year if it means a rotation of Santana, Hughes, Joba, Wang and Kennedy next year.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
blunty, leave the baseball analysis to people who have a clue.

James

[/ QUOTE ]

What part of my analysis do you think is off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just the first part:

1. Trade Hughes for Santana (I think Kennedy's a better pitcher anyway),

[/ QUOTE ]

fsdgsdgsdsdhsdhsdg

sdgsdghsd

hghgfj
fgjk
fg
kfg

[/ QUOTE ]

Thankyou, at least someone else thought that was completely F'ing ridiculous. Kennedy has had success in the minors, and had success with his late-season starts for NY but man you're putting WAAAYYYYY too much stock in him.

Excerpt: [ QUOTE ]
If this list were based entirely on pure stuff, Kennedy wouldn't make it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Kennedy doesn't have a plus pitch. His best offering is a changeup that would grade as a 55 on the 20-80 scouting scale, and his 89-91 mph fastball, his curveball and slider are all average.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know how guys like this are projected to perform over a season in most cases?

To his credit: [ QUOTE ]
But he has well above-average command, and his feel for pitching and ability to locate all four pitches make them play up.

FSL managers were extremely impressed by Kennedy's approach. He throws all four pitches in any count, he doesn't get rattled and he always seems to be a step ahead of hitters.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-09-2007, 05:05 PM

Many baseball "experts" (Baseball America being one) still suspect that the hamstring injury was affecting Hughes' performance when he came back.

Hughes is a guy who threw 91-95 throughout the minors with a plus plus curve and a plus changeup. This year (specifically after his injury) he was basically 89-92, with an above average, but not great, curve. His changeup was not used significantly.

Many believe with the time off + a normal routine heading into next year, his stuff will be back to what it was. If it does, he will be discussed before Joba.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didnt, but Hughes was very eratic , He looked brilliant 1 games, absolutly horrible the next.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, what did you expect from him? He didn't turn 21 until the end of June, but he had the second best WHIP on the entire staff among pitchers with more than 30 innings (behind Rivera). 7.35 K/9 and 3.33 BB/9. What more do you want?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:17 PM

reason 3, hughes costs you an order of magnitude less.

Given how good and cheap hughes and joba are, and how many teams will be competing for santana, I dont see how the yankees would ever trade for him, doesnt make sense.

also, hughes is 21, has only pitched 72 ml innings, most of which were after an injury which he has all summer to recuperate from. Who gives a [censored] if his ERA is over 4. Also, if I remember will carrolls columns correctly, the injury he had is a type that is unlikely to recur or have lasting effects.