Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 07:50 AM

Default Player has two cards different from deck in play, big pot.

Horseshoe, Tunica MS., limit hold-em. Five people in for one bet before flop. Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] . Flop capped between SB and MP and three people fold after putting in 2 bets each. Turn 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] SB bets, MP calls. River A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] SB looks at his cards and says, "These cards are a different color from the deck in play." (They were green, deck in play was burgundy). Dealer's mouth drops open, table erupts, floor is called.

Ruling?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Player has two cards different from deck in play, big pot.

Hand is dead. SB moron should have noticed earlier, he's been staring down at the cards all hand.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:03 AM

Refund everyone the money invested in a hand, of course. In addition, the floor should look for security camera footage, and if appropriate take SB to the back room and execute him a just a little.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:24 AM

All - is the entire hand's action reversed and refunded, or do the two players left in the hand split the pot?

I'd say the latter has a strong argument this time.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All - is the entire hand's action reversed and refunded, or do the two players left in the hand split the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody (blinds, etc) gets their money back if the hand is voided due to a foul deck.

Splitting the pot rewards someone who plays on when he knows the deck is foul.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:33 AM

I'm inclined to say SB is SOL. It appears I'd be wrong, though:

[ QUOTE ]
3. If a card with a different color back appears during a hand, all action is void and all chips in the pot are returned to the respective bettors. If a card with a different color back is discovered in the stub, all action stands.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I wouldn't object too strongly to some twisted argument that since the cards were accepted by all when they appeared, the action stands but SB's hand is dead. It'd be a stretch, but even if SB's mistake is an honest one it's a doozy, and "Oopsie, do-over!" just seems a little light to me.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody (blinds, etc) gets their money back if the hand is voided due to a foul deck.

Splitting the pot rewards someone who plays on when he knows the deck is foul.

[/ QUOTE ]

EVERYONE could have known the deck was fouled....hence the convincing case for the second option. Normally I'd say all action has to be turned backwards but this is not a normal situation, its not like the villain has two A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in his hand from the same color deck. I wouldn't be shocked at either ruling, they both seem reasonable.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:50 AM

Come on, get real, how could no one at the table have noticed this? Doesn't it seem a little strange that SB got 2 cards of a different color? There just happened to be 2 cards of the wrong color in the deck, and those 2 cards just happened to be dealt to the same player? This whole thing sounds very weird.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on, get real, how could no one at the table have noticed this? Doesn't it seem a little strange that SB got 2 cards of a different color? There just happened to be 2 cards of the wrong color in the deck, and those 2 cards just happened to be dealt to the same player? This whole thing sounds very weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a B&M game, a player could light himself on fire and some players might not notice.

I say refund all action if possible.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:11 PM

Were his 2 cards the only ones out of sync with the deck? I'm with Jeff , very weird.

What was the ruling?