Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 10:56 PM

Default AK PF kinda sticky situation, Stars 25 buy in

About 185 left, 180 pay.

I've only been at the table about 20 hands, so no huge reads, but the table has seen me open a lot, especially in position. I've showed down one river bluff when like 15 outs didnt hit on the river and villian checked to me.

The caller is clearly a donk, calling off that much of his stack, probably a tourney lifer trying to stall into the money or something. The RR I think is probably a decent player. I think his range here is TT+, but I dunno. Seems like AK would push.

What's my action here? I think calling is slightly better because I think a push is always getting called by the RR. At least I can see the flop, and get away if it sucks. What's my line? Push or call (no way I'm folding, I think).

I also don't think the RR put enough in to push out the original caller, so I can get an idea of what my implied/express odds will probably be.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1000 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO (t8373)
Button (t6887)
SB (t109062)
BB (t49839)
Hero (t49714)
UTG+1 (t22410)
MP1 (t11035)
MP2 (t23699)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3000</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t3000, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t10000</font>,
Old 07-30-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Re: AK PF kinda sticky situation, Stars 25 buy in

Yeah I think calling is a good play too because you are pretty deep. If you think opponents range is only TT+ then calling and evaluating the flop would probably be the best move. Against an avg opponent, however, I would probably shove.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:56 PM

i flat call the bb has a big hand here most often. if i hit the flop id have to go with it.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:06 AM

This is a pretty tough spot. Folding is obviously out of the question. But neither option (shoving or calling) is too comfortable either.

I don't like calling because if UTG calls, then MP2 has proper odds to call. Then, UTG will be sandwiched between a preflop re-raiser and a limp/caller. I think calling off 1/4 of your stack and folding a flop with all undercards is spew. You could call and hope to hit an ace or king, then jam the flop.

On the other hand, I don't like shoving because you're in at best a race situation and possibly dominated. Against a donkish player, I'd jam. But in this situation, I don't feel comfortable shoving when we are underdogs against nearly every hand villain could have here. And we are getting called here. No way villain folds to a 4-bet all-in after re-raising an UTG raiser and an overcall.

In the end, I probably take the safer route and call. If you miss and fold, you still have 30 BB left and more than enough play to work with for a while. It's the best of two pretty bad options.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:17 AM

no limp caller, I raised UTG and just a caller.

I think you got a lot of the problem with this hand down Bob, but I think at this point I don't care about MP2. He's probably calling a lot of hands, I wouldn't be surprised if a pair that he's ready to fold on the flop.

I think I want his money in there. Unless he's being super crafty with AA/KK, I think its pretty much dead money. I really only care about the RR, both b/c I think he's a decent player, but also his range is tighter. If I flop something that needs better pot odds to continue with (like say a gutshot plus overcards) I'll be glad the donk was in there.

I like calling and re-evaluating flop and likely letting the two other players duke it out on most flops.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:10 AM

I fold to the 3-bet. This is a horrible situation to be in and the typical range for the 3-bet is QQ+ and maybe AK. A squeeze raise would have raised much bigger - instead he wants to price you in.

Lets say he is doing it with a monster like KK or AA (very likely). You hit your K on the flop and get all-in against KK/AA. GG
Old 07-31-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold to the 3-bet. This is a horrible situation to be in and the typical range for the 3-bet is QQ+ and maybe AK. A squeeze raise would have raised much bigger - instead he wants to price you in.

Lets say he is doing it with a monster like KK or AA (very likely). You hit your K on the flop and get all-in against KK/AA. GG

[/ QUOTE ]

Def never folding here.

He could be three betting AQ, JJ, TT, QQ. Even if he does have QQ, there's enough overlay in the pot to call. Also, implied odds
Old 07-31-2007, 09:57 AM

So you show down a bluff, MP2 wants to see if he can hit some cards and see the same thing ... BB is squeezing.

I shove here, their ranges are wider than what has been mentioned
Old 07-31-2007, 10:29 AM

I don't like calling...

I wanna shove here. I'm only worried about BB having
AA KK... that's all we fear. If your opening often, stealing and cont betting you're a prime candidate to be slow played by AA. you have donk covered so ignore him. It's the bubble. His tourney is on the line too. Shove em in, win, amd dominate the table/tourney.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I shove here, their ranges are wider than what has been mentioned

[/ QUOTE ]

That's bad. We are 50xBB deep .. why shove into another big stack with A-high? I don't think that the range of BB is that wide .. after all he is re-raising an UTG raiser and a caller, and his raise indicates that he just wants to build a pot and not get rid of anyone.

I can definately see a fold here.
If you want to play the hand, call and get it all-in on any A or K flop....but be prepared to go broke against AA/KK