Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2007, 03:26 AM

Default Philosophy majors?

I'm in the middle of my sophmore year, and have decided that i am no longer enthusiastic for my current major (film, FWIW). After a long discussion with my advisor, and much soul searching, i've determined that the one thing that i enjoy learning about is philosophy.

Whenever philosophy/philosophers have come up in other subjects, i feel like i pay attention and learn because i want the information, not because i want to pass the class. I have taken an introductory logic class and enjoyed the material, and believe that right now the subject is the one thing i have a thirst for, academically speaking. I believe in the ideology of "follow your bliss", which basically means find what makes you happy, and give yourself over to it. It's not as if i'm throwing away a lucrative career in the film industry, it's a competive major and the road to the top is more or less a crapshoot (plus i'm not thrilled with the idea about spending the first years after graduation taping wires down to the floor and bringing some douche his coffee...).

So my questions are these:

1) I feel like a degree in philosophy doesn't exactly have a lot of job oppertunities... however, if i am totally happy with my studies, i'm not worried about the financial implications, because you can't put a price on doing what you love- does anyone have any input on the possibilities and oppurtunities with a degree in philosophy?

2) If anyone out there is a philosophy major, what can i expect? I've decided i want to make sure i'm being educated in college, i want to be a better person for my experience. I have this image of philosophy being a great meeting of minds, expanding my knowledge of the world and making me well versed in various areas of academia. Is this just me romanticizing the topic? I'm really hoping someone out there has experience and valuable insight.

thanks in advance