Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: 10NL tough river call...

[ QUOTE ]
He tends to just call down, even with a monster...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have reason to believe this, raise him. That being said, i would call...
Old 11-06-2007, 03:43 PM

This is not limit poker. They have 200BB effective stacks. High-card value counts for almost nothing. OPs opponent is going to make enough terrible mistakes postflop to make it profitable to raise almost any two cards. Your different/more hands suggestion is just a red herring I think.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OPs opponent is going to make enough terrible mistakes postflop to make it profitable to raise almost any two cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
sorry dude - if you're raising almost any two then you'll basically be bleeding yourself dry
Old 11-06-2007, 05:36 PM

I have to say that I agree with Doctr here, the reason I raise PF is because 79s has the potential to make very strong hands (albeit rarely) whereas raising A2o would be dangerous because I could easily be dominated. With these deep stacks, I think raising 79s here is ok, especially given this villain as he is likely to call me down with anything, to him a strait flush and TP are the same thing, he just calls down to the river, so raising 79s is ok given the implied odds I get if I hit a hand (and with 79s, the chances are that if I do hit a hand, it is going to be at least 2pair, which is way ahead of villains range).
Old 11-06-2007, 05:55 PM

part of the value of raising 79s is that a villain will fold a good amount of time to the pre-flop raise and to c-bets. You don't get that with this villain and so the play becomes -EV.

you say yourself that making a strong hand is rare with 79s.

[ QUOTE ]
whereas raising A2o would be dangerous because I could easily be dominated

[/ QUOTE ]
you won't be easily dominated here b/c he'll be calling w/ so many hands that don't contain an ace in it. He can easily hit mid pair and call down even when you pair your ace
Old 11-07-2007, 06:48 AM

The guy is a terrible player. The value in raising 79 or a whole range of other trashy hands is that you can exploit him easily postflop. If you don't know how to exploit a huge calling station then by all means fold.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:57 AM

I thought the reasoning behind raising with suited connectors against a loose-passive player is that we'll get paid off by top pair when we do hit and also that we're more likely to be given free cards to make big hands? We're not raising 79s so we can vbet bottom pair, the possibility of losing the pot to 10-2 is not a real consideration here.

Given your read I would expect your hand to be good almost always despite the river minraise, and the odds make it a snap-call anyway. These types of players think any 6 is the nuts here... I would consider raising if I knew the villain well enough.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:15 AM

add one vote for NOT raising PF OOP.

I really like shoving here. just do not fold. If his range is really that wide, we are ahead. PERIOD.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
add one vote for NOT raising PF OOP.

I really like shoving here. just do not fold. If his range is really that wide, we are ahead. PERIOD.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's his calling range if we shove?

There is no way this villain is folding a flush. I don't see any value in shoving given that a flush is a much bigger part of his range than trips.

Edit: Actually I calculated it and there are only a few more ways he can have a flush than trips, but there are also full houses etc. and he's less like to call a shove with trips than with a flush or better. So I still think shoving is really bad here.