Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Re: A real eye opener for you online pros or wannabee pros at P5.com...

[ QUOTE ]
Check this link out. This guy is in the top 60 online MTT pros, $160,000.00 won in the last 3 months and he's down money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since June 1st 2007, the pokerdb shows him to be profiting over $60,000 across Stars, Tilt, and UB.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:57 AM

Default Re: A real eye opener for you online pros or wannabee pros at P5.com..

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check this link out. This guy is in the top 60 online MTT pros, $160,000.00 won in the last 3 months and he's down money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since June 1st 2007, the pokerdb shows him to be profiting over $60,000 across Stars, Tilt, and UB.

[/ QUOTE ]

...i was about to make this post. Mkind is clearly a EV+ donkamenter, but hes just frustrated with his recent results i assume.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Will Ma and I were discussing this recently.

People who run bad in MTTs quit MTTs, people who run good stick with them. As this continues, it gets to the point that almost everyone who plays MTTs is at like the top of the bell curve of results relative to their skill level, so people tend to think that variance is lower since most regular tournament players are just the one who run the best.

I may have worded it poorly, but basically, everyone who hasn't quit these stupid things yet runs good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain this further? Idgi.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Will Ma and I were discussing this recently.

People who run bad in MTTs quit MTTs, people who run good stick with them. As this continues, it gets to the point that almost everyone who plays MTTs is at like the top of the bell curve of results relative to their skill level, so people tend to think that variance is lower since most regular tournament players are just the one who run the best.

I may have worded it poorly, but basically, everyone who hasn't quit these stupid things yet runs good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain this further? Idgi.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assume you are a bus driver. When you drive through the city, there will often be similar numbers of people getting on the bus and off the bus. Now assume you are driving a bus from inside a city to the middle of nowhere. You will start off with many people on the bus, some people will get off the bus at stops, some may get on. When you drive out of the city, the number of people on the bus will decrease because no one wants to take the bus from the middle of nowhere to the middle of nowhere, but everyone must eventually get off at their stop.

Tournaments are much like this, a large number of people try them out to begin with, but as time goes on, more and more quit playing, and results primarily dictate whether or not people do things.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mkind whining, omg eye opener MY WORLD IS BEING THRUST UPSIDE DOWN!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL....not my world pal. I don't have to win a single dime at poker. And I don't have a trust fund either. But I have a good job. So does my wife. We both have nice 401Ks. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If you don't mind me asking, where exactly are you in these rankings?
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

In what [censored] splinter universe does it matter where I am in the rankings? He's ALWAYS been REALLY whiny about running bad and he has definitely stretched the truth to attempt to illicit sympathy before, seeing another "my life is so hard" post doesn't make me reexamine my life, it makes me think quit [censored] crying like a little bitch.

Also, if he can't find a way to win he sucks at game selection or he's too stubborn to be a professional, Ill bet he wouldve been murdering the 55 and under mtt scene, or the sngs, or low limit cash, but he didnt want to do that he wanted to play the highest multis.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tournaments are much like this, a large number of people try them out to begin with, but as time goes on, more and more quit playing, and results primarily dictate whether or not people do things.

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting/related anecdote: i recently played my first 109r, and on repeated occassions throughout the tourney commented to thayer and ray "man, this is a pretty tough tourney. im not sure i have much of an edge here." i know, to a lot of you very good players, this sounds silly because all top players think everyone else sucks and they obviously have a ridiculous edge in every tourney they play. and they may, but i don't feel that way. anyway, i ended up taking second. i ran really good.

a few days later, this past sunday, i played another 109r. because hey, i got 2nd in my first one, im obviously sick in that tourney, right?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:40 AM

i was down 60k at one point at touranments
Old 09-12-2007, 02:03 AM

Ok, so, I'm a bus driver. I decide one day to drive my bus from the city into the middle of the desert letting people off as they see fit and letting whoever might be in the desert on to my bus. As time goes on, my bus becomes empty as more and more people get off and no new people get on my bus. So, tournament poker is the desert that few passengers travel far into but some do for the reason that there might be some reward at the edge of the desert? And the city is what? Cash game poker or no poker at all? Or is the entire desert a metaphor for poker and the bus is tournament poker? In which case, the bus is stopping and starting constantly but stops permanently when there are no more passengers and the bus is no longer needed? I'm totally confused as u can tell.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But isn't this true of anything? Don't people tend to stick with things they're initially good at?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In what [censored] splinter universe does it matter where I am in the rankings? He's ALWAYS been REALLY whiny about running bad and he has definitely stretched the truth to attempt to illicit sympathy before, seeing another "my life is so hard" post doesn't make me reexamine my life, it makes me think quit [censored] crying like a little bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]QFT and his bad beat story is losing AQ<AK AIPF...
Old 09-12-2007, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so, I'm a bus driver. I decide one day to drive my bus from the city into the middle of the desert letting people off as they see fit and letting whoever might be in the desert on to my bus. As time goes on, my bus becomes empty as more and more people get off and no new people get on my bus. So, tournament poker is the desert that few passengers travel far into but some do for the reason that there might be some reward at the edge of the desert? And the city is what? Cash game poker or no poker at all? Or is the entire desert a metaphor for poker and the bus is tournament poker? In which case, the bus is stopping and starting constantly but stops permanently when there are no more passengers and the bus is no longer needed? I'm totally confused as u can tell.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But isn't this true of anything? Don't people tend to stick with things they're initially good at?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but it's much easier to run good over your first 100 SNG's (or first 10k hands of cash) than your first 100 MTT's simply b/c MTT payouts are so top heavy.