Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Shaken confidence

I quit playing poker for a while and came back a couple months ago playing live. Over the last 12 sessions I am probably down 80 -100 BB. Could be variance, but I feel I am looser than I used to be (especially preflop) and am going to far with hands. I still feel I protect well and can extract well with made hands. Back to low limit online til i get back up to speed. first orbit.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (5.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.70 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.70 BB

LLL
Old 10-29-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Shaken confidence

With no reads, I think raising the turn is thin but +EV, but probably only if you can find a fold to the 3bet. If you can't fold, then this is the next best line.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:26 AM

He most prob have not hit the Q, or else a decent player would have check raised on the turn to trap you for one more bet.

Mr Wookie, why would you want to raise the turn? The Q has kinda counterfeited your two pair, and you end up with a mid kicker. The only hands we beat are those going for draws, and an A with a &lt;T kicker. Possbily he has AdXd

If I have no reads, I would chose to call down and make a note on his play based on his hole cards.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:35 AM

I raise and fold to a 3-bet

but your line is good too.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:00 AM

wow wtf at raising the turn?

folding and calling are both close.. . i think i marginally prefer calling down

nh
Old 10-29-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The only hands we beat are those going for draws, and an A with a &lt;T kicker. Possbily he has AdXd

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, we're no longer ahead of anyone with A&lt;T. We're chopping the pot with them.

For people who want to raise this turn, where's the EV in this? A Q crushes us and at best we chop with an A....[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A x gets a freeroll for the flush, too.

Calling down seems to make an awful lot of sense here. I'd think best line would be call&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;fold&gt;&gt;&gt;&g t;&gt;&gt;raise and not the other way around.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:33 AM

If I raise the turn against an unknown, it's with the intention of folding to a 3bet. And given the drawy nature of the board/scary turn card, I'd much rather spend those 2 bets calling down &amp; hoping for a chop.

One could theoretically argue that raising the turn could get a chopping hand to fold, but at these stakes I wouldn't count on anyone folding an ace here, ever.

As far as your intro paragraph goes, when you're running bad &amp; feeling bad about your game, try to make a conscious effort to play tighter. We all tend to loosen up a little when we're stuck, in an effort to get those bets back, but of course this typically just results in our falling deeper into the red. Whenever you find yourself about to play a borderline hand preflop, pause, think for a few seconds, and ask yourself if you'd usually be playing it. If the answer is no &amp; you can't think of an immediate reason why this specific scenario should be different, make the fold &amp; wait for the next hand.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:27 AM

wow i find raisefolding the turn to be fairly bad
Old 10-29-2007, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as your intro paragraph goes, when you're running bad &amp; feeling bad about your game, try to make a conscious effort to play tighter. We all tend to loosen up a little when we're stuck, in an effort to get those bets back, but of course this typically just results in our falling deeper into the red. Whenever you find yourself about to play a borderline hand preflop, pause, think for a few seconds, and ask yourself if you'd usually be playing it. If the answer is no &amp; you can't think of an immediate reason why this specific scenario should be different, make the fold &amp; wait for the next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this suggestion.

I may be wrong, but I think that sometimes it may become easier to loosen up a little bit when you are running well, as some of your opponents may become a bit more cautious about playing against you.

Conversely, when you are not running well, sometimes it seems as though the whole table has no fear of you at all, and so the marginal hands seem less worthwhile playing.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For people who want to raise this turn, where's the EV in this? A Q crushes us and at best we chop with an A....[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A x gets a freeroll for the flush, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way he has AQ. We raise turn to get Ax to fold (would he ever??) or for value against a draw. Villian could be betting with diamond/gutshot combo draw.

Without reads --&gt; I limp preflop, bet flop, raise turn and call down from there.