Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 10:33 PM

Default The Official Professional Bachelor Food Suggestion Thread

I am a working professional who lives alone and works 60-70 hours per week. Needless to say, I don't really have a lot of time to cook, but at the same time, if I eat out/ bring in food all the time I will go broke and get fat. I have thus assembled a small list of foodstuffs that are: 1. Not that unhealthy, 2. Taste Decent, and most importantly: are quick and easy to make. I'd love to discuss with other people who are in a similar situation what they "cook," as I am always looking for new ideas.

Here is my list:

Simple Foods:

1. Cream of Wheat.
2. Oatmeal
3. Macaroni and Cheese, with Cut up Hot Dogs
4. Lipton Pasta Sides (these cost $1, you just need milk to make them, and taste pretty good, my favorite flavor is tomato parmesan).
5. Roast Beef + Swiss Cheese + Bread, heat up roast beef first in micrwave, then throw whole sandwhich in toaster (ZOMG French Dip!) Boars Head Londonport Roast Beef is Best.
6. Same as Above, except w/ turkey breast
7. Flavored Tofu cut into squares(can be gotten in the healthfood section of most grocery stores), then wrapped in wonton wrappers (also can be gotten usually near the tofu), toasted until golden brown in toaster oven, and dipped in Duck Sauze (It sounds funky, but its delicious, trust me).
8. Scrambled Eggs with Bacos imitation bacon bits put in the eggs while they are being cooked, and toast + jelly

When I want to make a nice meal for more than myself:

1. Shake and Bake (This is awesome for chicken cutlets, I recommend Italian style shake and bake bread crumbs, throw some sauce on the chicken with a little melted parmigiana cheese, and some pasta, its a meal that will impress your friends).

As you can see, my list is not very extensive, as I am a recovering "prepared-food"aholic, and would love sugestions from other people who are in similar culinary straits.

I picture Mr. Diablo as being well versed in the culinary arts, would would appreciate his input as well.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Re: The Official Professional Bachelor Food Suggestion Thread

i'm in the same boat, and have been trying to branch out.

last week i made a random chicken dish;

1 frozen chicken breast
1/2 box of mushroooms
1 slice of an onion
1/2 tomato

first i thawed the chicken breast in the microwave. then i put some olive oil in a pan, tossed some salt and pepper on the chicken, and threw it in the oil. the started hissing at me, so i immediatly added the chopped onion and mushrooms, but i think next time i'll let the chicken cook more.

then i poured some wine in, and let it simmer till the chicken got white in the middle.

poured it all on a plate, ate with some salad.

edit: haha, i forgot about adding in the tomato. funny thing is, i forgot in real life too, and just plopped some cold diced tomato on my hot dish
Old 01-30-2007, 10:43 PM

another easy meal was buying a box of pasta, boiling it (time is on box), pouring it in a big bowl, then adding chicken breast from the foreman, some quartered artichoke hearts (trader joes sells these in a jar), some fresh bell pepper and some chopped tomatoes.

oh, and a jar of pasta sauce (i picked vodka sauce)
Old 01-30-2007, 10:44 PM

j,

Here are some easy ideas to mix things up a bit:

Tomatoes and/or avocados, sliced, salt/pepper/olive oil.

Corn on the cob - microwaving works fine.

Grilled chicken breast (w/ salt/pepper/garlic/whatever or marinate it) on Foreman grill.

Grilled steak on Foreman (no comments required, we are talking super quick and easy here).

Roasted potatoes - cut 'em up, season 'em, oven.

Baked potatoes - oven far superior, but microwaving works too.

Roasted vegetables - butternut squash, brussel sprouts (yes, DELICIOUS, REALLY!), baby onions, fingerling potatoes, sweet potatoes (I buy this stuff cut up in bag at Trader Joes), little olive oil/salt/pepper, toss em in oven, done.

Various Trader Joe's semi-prepared/prepared/frozen food. See OOT TJ suggestions thread for tons of great ideas.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:45 PM

One of my big goto meals is frozen raviolis. Bags of them are cheap at a local grocery store. Toss em in boiling water for 5-7 minutes slap some alfredo sauce or normal red sauce on it. Make enough for multiple days.

That roast beef sandwich sounds great. As obvious and simple as it sounds I've always just made em cold.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:49 PM

j,

Here is a meal I used to make in college. It is pretty horrible for you, but so delicious.

Get a box of fettucine. Make sure it's a brand that has fettucine alfredo instructions on the back. Buy the appropriate amounts of butter, cream, and parmesan cheese. Kraft parmesan cheese container may also have a recipe on it, but I liked the fettucine box directions better because it featured more of the bad stuff.

Boil fettucine. Drain. Put it back on stove on low heat. Mix in butter until melted (like a stick or so). Take off heat. Pour in the cream and parmesan cheese. Mix it all up. I think the recipe I used included like a whole thing of cream and grated parmesan. OMG SO HORRIBLE FOR YOU AND OH SO DELICIOUS.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:50 PM

Easy, easy "mock" fettucini alfredo:

Cook fettucini (about 10 minutes in boiling water)

After you drain water, put back in pot

Mix in about 1 ounce cream cheese until it sticks to pasta

Mix in 3-4 teaspoons of a good parmesan cheese

Little fresh ground pepper

Done (you can add a little sour cream if too dry)
Old 01-30-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
j,

Here is a meal I used to make in college. It is pretty horrible for you, but so delicious.

Get a box of fettucine. Make sure it's a brand that has fettucine alfredo instructions on the back. Buy the appropriate amounts of butter, cream, and parmesan cheese. Kraft parmesan cheese container may also have a recipe on it, but I liked the fettucine box directions better because it featured more of the bad stuff.

Boil fettucine. Drain. Put it back on stove on low heat. Mix in butter until melted (like a stick or so). Take off heat. Pour in the cream and parmesan cheese. Mix it all up. I think the recipe I used included like a whole thing of cream and grated parmesan. OMG SO HORRIBLE FOR YOU AND OH SO DELICIOUS.

[/ QUOTE ]

How were we typing this at the same time?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:52 PM

j,

Here's another super easy one. Get some nice sausages. I prefer chicken-apple sausage. But, whatever you like is fine, just a little nicer and more substantial stuff than hot dogs. Heat sausage. Wrap in piece of bread. Eat. A nice mix-it-up from sandwiches.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:53 PM

nyc,

That is weird. Great minds is the only logical explanation. Well, that or you're a really fast copier.