Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 01:47 PM

Default so I played some 1/2 live NL

I have never sat at a worse table including Party's 25NL. I straddled everytime because I felt I was that much better than everyone that I wanted to raise the stakes. There would still be 4-5 limpers. Straddling a Good idea?
Old 08-09-2006, 01:53 PM

Default Re: so I played some 1/2 live NL

Yes - in this scenario it is a good idea. I had a table full of nits once told me there is absolutely no benefit in it. They wouldn't even acknowledge the squeeze play possibilities of getting about 8-10 extra big blinds or the fact that getting an option if it is unraised is another benefit even.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:55 PM

If it increases your gross earn by more than 1PTBB per orbit, then yes, otherwise, no.

I've been at tables where I'd straddle from time to time. Usually when I wanted to loosen things up a bit and/or counter a tight image.

For the record, there's nothing quite like a blind straddle, calling a LP raise blind, flopping a draw to the nuts and being given proper odds to hit on the river by too small bets from the PF raiser who flopped top set. The crazy monkey tilt resulting from stacking them is an amazing and beautiful thing.

i.e., It may not be profitable in and of itself, but the potential entertainment value can be worth every cent all on its own.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:15 PM

I played my first ever live NL in Vegas recently, and I was awestruck by some of the hands people were calling $15-$20 preflop raises with (Q10o, 24s, etc).

Of course, I immediately went on crazy monkey tilt after having the aforemetioned crap hands outflop me.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:41 PM

Straddling is fun. After all you came to play cards and gambooool, not fold [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My favorite is when the nits start talking about how it's strictly ' a limit play' and that NL players do not understand it.

I was straddling my last live session and eventually convinced everyone at the table to each throw in $10 blind and had the dealer run it. We then exposed our cards one at a time around the table. It was exciting because the board contained four to a straight.

It put the table in a very good mood (One guy even side bet me an additional $20 HU).
Old 08-09-2006, 02:51 PM

Tulalip doesn't allow live straddles in its "no limit" games. That sucks.

Just a side comment: I've seen 5/10 games way juicier than the Party 25NL. Live games are just better.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Live games are just better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strong agreement.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:54 PM

club that i play at let's you restraddle. so basically, players can keep restraddling all the way back to the BB, wth?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:09 PM

Fastest way to build a good table image. Sit down UTG, and when the dealer asks you if you want to wait a hand, go "hell no, I wanna straddle!!!"
Old 08-09-2006, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fastest way to build a good table image. Sit down UTG, and when the dealer asks you if you want to wait a hand, go "hell no, I wanna straddle!!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

that is too cool for school