Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Re: salary negotiation

I'm on the tail end of my first real salary negotiating experience, although my situation may be a little bit different as i was essentially recruited by this company. one thing that was helpful for me was that the person who i was dealing with believed that my current salary was higher than it actually was. obviously this wnt be helpful in all situations but it worked out really well in a situation where they kind of began the pursuit.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not possible if you have to write it in the application. I don't like #2.

[/ QUOTE ]

On my applications, I wrote "negotiable" for expected salary.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1 - Don't talk salary until you've already got the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 99% agree with this, but want to point out one exception. I get alot of applicants seeking their first outside sales job. When they are not remotely concerned about the compensation structure, I get concerned. They're super gung-up about the job, and really insist that they would be great at it. If they don't care about the pay though, all I take from it is that they want outside sales on their resume and will be gone soon. Either that, or they have no idea how building a client base actually works, but believe they have a God-given talent for sales, and will soon get frustrated at the fact they haven't gotten some huge commission check 2 months into the job and quit.

That doesn't apply to many situation, but thought it might be worth pointing out.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:36 PM

In a recent interview, the interviewer asked me where I was at salary wise at my current company and I told him. I wasn't quick enough to dodge this questino on my feet but I understand that I should have. Why? Is it otherwise impossible for him to figure out how much I was making? Can I say whatever I want to within reason in a situation like this?
Old 03-02-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a recent interview, the interviewer asked me where I was at salary wise at my current company and I told him. I wasn't quick enough to dodge this questino on my feet but I understand that I should have. Why? Is it otherwise impossible for him to figure out how much I was making? Can I say whatever I want to within reason in a situation like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be very careful about this. You never know if a contact between your old and new company exists - your VP knows their VP type of thing. Also I'm not sure what information is acceptable for an HR dept. to provide.

I'd go for the dodge. Something like -
1. "This new positionally is substantially different from my current position. What salary range are you looking for?"

2. "I've researched salary ranges for my position and am currently underpaid. It's one of the reasons I'm looking to make a change. What salary range are you offering in this position?"

I could make both of those a little smoother, but I think they get the point across.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:05 AM

For anyone wanting to maximize their salary, you can really hit the lottery if the company is desperate (assuming a technical white collar job).

The truth is hiring and interviewing is difficult and expensive and they'd rather just sign you than have to go after someone else. If they really need to hire someone and don't have other options lined up, they may be willing to go VERY VERY high.

The initial salary negotiation is your best time to get money. They might promise raises and re-evaluation later, but once you're set at a certain scale it rarely changes. It really sucks when you're some big honcho and you find out some guy under you is making way more because he negotiated his salary better.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:14 AM

did everyone miss the first part that said, "its my first real job?" worry about the interview first.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:23 AM

Yeah that's what I was thinking. What is the job OP? I can't think of too many first jobs that involve negotiation. Unless you're a financial or techie grad from a top school.

Another thing to think about is you may want to consider leaving a *little* on the table. A rancorous negotiation where you literally squeeze every dime out of your new employer--doesn't always lead to the best starting-new-job environment for you. Any moment of sub-perfection will obviously conjure up thoughts of the negotiation with your bosses.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
did everyone miss the first part that said, "its my first real job?" worry about the interview first.

[/ QUOTE ]

the interviews are over. that is why i'm researching salary negotiation.

edit to add that this thread isn't just for me, but for the general benefit of EDF.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:28 AM

while a worthy subject, as a fresh grad, you have negligible leverage unless you're a top 1% grad moving into a field w/ much distinction. i'd say the negotions are best saved for the first raise discussion.