Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2006, 06:34 AM

Default Fold bottom set on nonscary board?

I can't find a WSEX HH converter so..

WSEX 8 handed $100 NL, Hero UTG w/22, 7 players in an unraised pot. I flop bottom set to a rainbow board and lead out with a two buck bet. Next player cold calls, player after that reraises to $9, folded to me.

Now here's the thing: reraiser is a 13.7% VPIP 3% PFR over many hands and my notes say "tite on flop too". I know this guy to be rockish. My main concern is that he's got me set over set. I just don't see him limping preflop with QQ, KK, AA after two limpers here, notwithstanding his low PFR%. And I don't see him going to $9 on the flop with a 77-99 overpair. Given the stack sizes (I started with 68 vs villan's 125) I felt I was risking my nearly entire stack to see the river weather I was up against a pair of 10s/Js, or paying maximum to see a larger set.

I think my call on the flop was a mistake. Thoughts?

** Dealing Down Cards **
Dealt to hero: [2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
hero$68) Call ($1)
Player 9: Call ($1)
Player 0($125): Call ($1)
Player 1: Fold
Player 2: Call ($1)
Player 4: Call ($1)
Player 5: Call ($0.50)
Player 6: Check ($0)
** Dealing Flop *
Community cards: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Player 5: Check ($0)
Player 6: Check ($0)
hero: Bet ($2)
Player 9: Call ($2)
Player 0: Raise ($9)
Player 2: Fold
Player 4: Fold
Player 5: Fold
Player 6: Fold
hero: Call ($7)
Player 9: Call ($7)
** Dealing Turn **
Community cards: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
hero: Check ($0)
Player 9: Check ($0)
Player 0: Bet ($15)
hero: Fold
Player 9: Fold
$32.30 from main pot
Old 11-26-2006, 07:00 AM

Default Re: Fold bottom set on nonscary board?

that's why i hate fullring.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:12 AM

Ok, i play mainly shorthanded but what is this?? You are shortstacked and u have set, get it allin if you can.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:14 AM

A nit limping into a "familia" pot then getting aggro against a field? Oh this just reeks of minipair turned into set.

My reccos:
1) Bet much closer to the pot. I'm not a big fan of weak leading into these situations unless you intend to reraise.

Bottom set OOP. If you want to avoid the info gaps bet $7 and then see what "better" info falls from the other players.

2)As played: call the $7 raise and reasses either on the turn or as one of the midland callers (those who called your $2 bet) erupts into life (as they often do in FR) representing the flopped str8.

3) Once HU on turn, If a 4 str8 card appears I PSB. If he just calls (and is as nitty as described) then I fire for full effect on a non pairing river.

4) If turn pairs the board (OBV not with a 2) you can insta c/f to any heat from him.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:48 PM

This could just as easily be something like 88 or 99 and Villain has a medium overpair. Personally, I'm getting it all-in somewhere here. But at the very least, I'd call down--that is, if you're that worried about him having an over set. It looks like he's inclined to underbet the pot, so you could call the $15 on the turn and likely not have to call for the rest of your stack on the river. Again, though, I get it all-in here.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:50 PM

i dont like this... btw wtf wuz villian BB or SB? if anything else i mean would he rele play 35? he COULD have 44 or 66 but i mean... thats just so damn nitty call turn to c if u fill? dont play full ring play 6max so u dont have to worry about set over set as much i probably am not fold this.. if u fold 22 on this kind of board wut kind of board is ideal to get it in anyway?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:52 PM

Don't play 22 if you're just going to fold when you hit your hand.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A nit limping into a "familia" pot then getting aggro against a field? Oh this just reeks of minipair turned into set.

My reccos:
1) Bet much closer to the pot. I'm not a big fan of weak leading into these situations unless you intend to reraise.

Bottom set OOP. If you want to avoid the info gaps bet $7 and then see what "better" info falls from the other players.

2)As played: call the $7 raise and reasses either on the turn or as one of the midland callers (those who called your $2 bet) erupts into life (as they often do in FR) representing the flopped str8.

3) Once HU on turn, If a 4 str8 card appears I PSB. If he just calls (and is as nitty as described) then I fire for full effect on a non pairing river.

4) If turn pairs the board (OBV not with a 2) you can insta c/f to any heat from him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must get passive just before sleeptime.

Most Important is point 1.
NEVER SLOWPLAY bottom set in HE unless you have a VER VERY good reason. Even if he has a bigger set your never going to get that info without properly betting this hand up front.