Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 02:02 PM

Default learning to play Omaha

hey guys,
I want to learn how to play Omaha but not sure where to start. Should I start with Limit Omaha Hi? PLO High? I guess Omaha Hi/Lo would be the next step.

Picked up Championship Omaha by Cloutier and McEvoy. A friend recommended Omaha Poker by Ciaffone, any others I should consider for the beginner?

Also, plan to start playing micro stake Omaha.

thanks
Old 08-14-2006, 03:29 PM

Default Re: learning to play Omaha

[ QUOTE ]
Should I start with Limit Omaha Hi? PLO High? I guess Omaha Hi/Lo would be the next step.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would imagine that most of the considerations regarding Limit versus no-limit hold 'em apply here as well. There certainly aren't as many fish coming into PLO as NLHE, but from what I understand there are a bunch of fish, and poor understanding of the HE-to-O transition ("Yippee! I flopped a set! I'm going to get all the money in!") probably makes for as much dead money as in NLHE.

The high/low aspect throws another consideration in there, but if you're disciplined and don't go overrating your half-pot-draws you should have an immediate advantage over the competition.

As always I would recommend you pick one variant and learn it well -- advice I don't really follow myself, heh.

[ QUOTE ]
Picked up Championship Omaha by Cloutier and McEvoy. A friend recommended Omaha Poker by Ciaffone, any others I should consider for the beginner?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't read those, but here's a bit of a bibliography: http://poker.wikia.com/wiki/Books#Omaha . Not sure if all those are good, though (in fact some aren't).

I found Tenner and Krieger's "Winning Omaha/8 Poker" pretty good for low-limit O8, and others swear by Zee's book although I don't see that much content in there for low-limit games. Cappelletti's book is a mess, a hodgepodge of articles of varying relevance, although some parts aren't too bad.