Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Sluss\'s 2007 AFC Rankings (Week 6)

With half of the big four teams on bye this week not much of a change up top from last week. We did learn though that the Dolphins and Bengals still stink and the Chargers may be back.

1.New England Patriots (6-0):Patriots rolling along. Two weeks ago they just ran the ball as much as they could. Then this week with Sammy Morris hurt and Maroney in street clothes they just figured well we'll chose to throttle the Cowboys by throwing the ball. They seem to be finding new ways to blow teams out and just look head and shoulders above everybody. But still looming is the Colts in Indy. The only team that looks like it has a chance.<font color="blue">Next Week @ Miami </font>

2.Indianapolis Colts (5-0):Some rest for the injured Colts this week. Hoping to get Addai &amp; Harrison back. But the big one to get back will be Bob Sanders. The Monday Night showdown with the Jags is here and we will learn if the Colts have really solved all of their run defense woes.
<font color="blue">Next Week @ Jac </font>

3.Pittsburgh Steelers (4-1):Last time the Steelers took a long flight it was to Arizona and most of the team forgot to get off the plane. This week it's another long flight to Denver. If they remember to show up they will be fine.<font color="blue">Next Week @ Denver </font>

4.Jacksonville Jaguars (4-1):Here come the Jags. This is the team I thought they were going to be all year. Pounding away. Fred Taylor breaking off a long run. MJD putting together a big day. The two headed monster and all Garrard has to do is stay calm get the ball to the running backs and maybe find a way to tell Reggie Williams to stop fumbling. They have some questions if they get down early, but they can front run better than any team not named New England.<font color="blue">Next week vs. Ind </font>

5.Tennessee Titans (3-2):Clearly Vince Young can not heal himself on the sidelines. It will probably take him a whole week to preform that miracle. Son of god my ass. Even with him in the game the Titans really struggled on offense. They were having problems getting their running game going and with no Brandon Jones the passing game seemed to sputter. Not that it is a big threat normally. Two poor games out of the Titans in a row and this week a trip to the tough Texans is going to be a rough game if Vince Young can't go. <font color="blue">Next Week @ Hou </font>

6.San Diego Chargers (3-3)<font color="red">(up 1)</font>:Off to the bye playing like the old Chargers. Nothing like LT getting to see the Raiders to lift his spirits. Over 1600 yards against them in 13 games?? That is just sick. Running the ball better the last two weeks. Controlling the pace of the game. Making the other team play from behind. All makes the Chargers a very good team. Rivers though still shows bouts of mistakes and as the beginning of the year proved, if you can get out on them early they become little bunnies.<font color="blue">Next Week Bye </font>

7.Houston Texans (3-3)<font color="red">(Down 1)</font>:Not having their full compliment of offensive weapons really hurt the Texans this week. You have to be able to jump on the Jags and they just don't have the firepower right now to do that. It still looks like it could be a couple more weeks before Andre Johnson comes back and winning games in the toughest division in football is not easy without your best player. It's hard to say in week 7 they have a must win game this week. It's time though for them to win a big game in the division. A pretty big hole will be dug for them if they don't get a win. <font color="blue">Next Week vs Ten </font>

8.Baltimore Ravens (4-2):Well Matt Stover and the defense look good. Offensive line injuries have really started to rival Brian Billick's playcalling as what is torpedoing their offense. 61 yards against the Rams rush defense is not getting it done. The schedule does set up really nice for them as they head to Buffalo this week. Sooner or later they are going to have to score some points. Right now though it can be later.<font color="blue">Next week @ Buf </font>

9.Denver Broncos(2-3):Getting Javon Walker back this week will be a big boost to the offense. Now has Bates been able to fix the run defense that has been so bad the last few weeks. I'm pretty sure the Steelers will be there to test it out. <font color="blue">Next Week vs. Pitt </font>

10.Kansas City Chiefs (3-3)<font color="red">(up 2)</font>:Well it took six games, but we have a Larry Johnson sighting. Granted it was against the Bengals defense. The defense has started to play better and better. They are starting to look a lot like a Herm Edwards team. I don't know if that is good or bad. The AFC West is not all that good, so it might not take much to win the division. <font color="blue">Next Week @ Oak </font>

11.Cleveland Browns (3-3)<font color="red">(up 2)</font>:.500 heading into their bye and things are very interesting for the Browns. They finish with a very easy schedule. One where they could be 11-5 if everything went perfect, but in reality they could be 10-6 or 9-7. Now here is where the decision has to be made. If they were to stick with Derrick Anderson and finish just out of the playoffs they could be looking at another down year next year when they have to start Brady Quinn. Or they can make the switch now. Finish @ 8-8 or 7-9 and maybe be ready to make that next step into a playoff team next year. This is the NFL and nothing is set in stone, when you have a chance you want to make a run, the Broncos gave up their shot last year and went to Cutler and it hasn't worked out for them too well so far. The Chargers waited a long time with Rivers and it turned into a big year last year for them. <font color="blue">Next Week Bye </font>

12.Oakland Raiders(2-3)<font color="red">(down 2)</font>:A tough outing for the Raiders this week and the rest of the year is a tough schedule as well. Their easiest games left are the Bears @ home and their own division. Not much else looking like it could be wins. This is the exact opposite problem the Browns have. Bringing in JaMarcus Russell is just throwing him to the wolves. <font color="blue">vs. KC </font>

13. Cincinnati Bengals1-4)<font color="red">(down1)</font>: Another week same problems for the Bengals. The defense is really bad and Carson Palmer and the offense are trying to score 9 points on every drive. Things do not look bright for the Bungles. <font color="blue">Next Week vs. NYJ </font>

14.Buffalo Bills (1-4):Some light in the next couple of weeks for the Bills after this week's match-up with the Ravens. At the Jets then home for the Bengals and on the road to Miami. The Losman vs. Edwards debate is going to reign. I liked Losman a lot coming into the year, but Edwards has really showed a real comfort level in the offense. Something Losman has been unable to find. <font color="blue">vs. Bal </font>

15.New York Jets (1-5):A couple of bright spots out of the Jets. Some good running out of Thomas Jones, who they must keep giving the ball. The defense played some good bend but not break. They still don't have a direction in New York. I wonder how long it will be before Jets fans turn their venom to Mangini? <font color="blue">Next Week @ Cin </font>
16.Miami Dolphins(0-6):Well I said a couple of weeks ago that the Dolphins would get to 0-6 with their whole season now shot and then the Patriots head to town as a 14-16 point favorite and bam! They knock them off. Just wait. I'll be at the window waiting to collect. <font color="blue">Next Week vs NE </font>
Old 10-16-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Sluss\'s 2007 AFC Rankings (Week 6)

I like Cleveland more than I like Denver or Houston. Houston is going to struggle for a while with Andre out.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like Cleveland more than I like Denver or Houston. Houston is going to struggle for a while with Andre out.

[/ QUOTE ]If we could bring NFC Divisons to the AFC and get the Texans in the AFC East I think they could make the playoffs. In the AFC South they are the 4th best team.

I'm struggling on Cleveland, because I still watch them play and still see their defense out there. Their offense is really carrying that team.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:01 PM

I think Houston probably falls more than 1 spot after that game. That was a lackluster performance by the run defense and Shaub looked great on a couple throws rolling out of the pocket but then again he was wild on a couple endzone throws and open receivers. But good list overall. It will start to get easier to compile as the season plays out.

EDIT: The Andre Johnson excuse has to end. They've played several weeks without him now and need to figure out how to work without him. Even without AJ, their running has been poor at best.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:57 PM

Cleveland waaaaaay too low. I haven't run my numbers, but my subjective opinion says they're 7th, although the Texans are a far different team without Johnson.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Andre Johnson excuse has to end. They've played several weeks without him now and need to figure out how to work without him. Even without AJ, their running has been poor at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, most teams would struggle without their best player.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:11 PM

I'd flip Chargers/Titans, Browns/Chiefs, Ravens/Texans.

I see Bengals=Raiders, so they share the 12.5 spot IMO.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:48 PM

NE
Indi

Pitt

Jax
Chargers

Tenn
Houston
Balt
Cleveland
Denver
KC
Cinci

Oakland
Buff
NYJ
Miami
Old 10-16-2007, 02:02 PM

NE
Indy

Pitt
Jax

Chargers
Tennessee
Cleveland
Baltimore
KC
Houston
Denver

Cinci
Oakland
NYJ
Buff
Miami
Old 10-16-2007, 02:35 PM

NE

Indy

Pitt

Chargers
Jax

Tenn

Baltimore
Houston

Cleveland
KC
Denver
Cinci