Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2006, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Bush now under 30%

[ QUOTE ]
You: " Homosexuality has been around since Greek/Roman times. "
Homophobe: "Damn near every important civilization in history has found homosexuality unacceptable.

I'm sure your college indoctrination led you to dozens of obscure, backwater cultures that tolerated gays. BFD. None of them built the culture I live in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you just make this stuff up? You should really open a book sometimes. Or watch the History Channel or something.

[ QUOTE ]
'Important civilization'?!? That'll blow a fuse in academia today, won't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be terribly proud of yourself for standing up. Way to stick it to the man!

You have serious problems. Grow up.
At least get rid of the insecurity.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You: " Homosexuality has been around since Greek/Roman times. "
Homophobe: "Damn near every important civilization in history has found homosexuality unacceptable.

I'm sure your college indoctrination led you to dozens of obscure, backwater cultures that tolerated gays. BFD. None of them built the culture I live in.

'Important civilization'?!? That'll blow a fuse in academia today, won't it?

[/ QUOTE ] -- yes, for good reason; you are a moron.

1) Ancient Greece was not a "backwater" civilization, nor was the Roman Republic and its subesquent Empire.

2)We essentially live in a society more Roman in nature than anything else.

3) The Roman civilization lasted between about 1,000-1400 years (depending on who you talk too.) At a minimum FIVE times longer than we have existed as a nation.

4) gays were not "tolerated," they were accepted as a normal part of the society.

In other words, WE are the unimortant nation who can't even control a country a tiny fraction of our size and population at the hight of our power.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:15 AM

"2)We essentially live in a society more Roman in nature than anything else."

We live in a country that has been shaped by Christianity more than anything else. The effort to undo this and sweep this fact under the rug over the past 40 years has been significant. It's a very unpopular idea today. It's poison in academia. It's also beyond intelligent debate.

The big objection to any structured system of beliefs is that outlying behaviors are often condemed. Very unpopular today. A large segment of the enlightened wish to engage in any behavior they choose, disregarding traditions and any possible long term consequences for society. There is still a measure of resistance to this, not in academia, not in the media, not in Hollywood, not too much in the Democratic party, but in the people. It is not as simple a matter as the critics contend.

So you prefer Rome? Build Rome. Perhaps in Holland. It'll be a fun 30 years before they implode or institute Sharia.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We live in a country that has been shaped by Christianity more than anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

We live in a country that has been shaped by the Enlightenment more than anything else. Its ridiculous as modern right-wing pundits try to rewrite history and portray the founding fathers as religious zealots who founded this country as one nation under a christian god, when they were not, and they did not.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:53 AM

"We live in a country that has been shaped by Christianity more than anything else."

If you asked for comment on this 50 years ago I doubt there would have been much disagreement. Today it's standing in the way of the progressive agenda and therein lies the change of inconvenient history. The Enlightenment was, without question, a significant influence but Christianity was the people mover and founding precept. Look at some of the early state constitutuions if you doubt this.

Important note: I am secular.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:39 PM

"We live in a country that has been shaped by Christianity more than anything else."

No. I would be a fool to ignore the influence of Christianity (or immigrants, muslims, jews, blacks and the legacy of slavery etc etc) on this country. However, All of "Western" culture has its roots in a pre Christ Roman world. (much of which is copied from Greece) If you don't believe me look at a picture of practically ever civic building in the country, maybe read the Constitution and have a looksy at some Roman law. Also, another poster had a great point about the Enlightenment. I would argue that that has a much more visable effect on modern America than either christianity or the Ancients.