Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 04:32 PM

Default HU FullTilt Satelitte TPGK

Full Tilt Poker Game #735863014: WSOP 100 Seat Satellite (4737563), Table 1 - 300/600 Ante 75 - No Limit Hold'em - 6:19:28 ET - 2006/06/23
Seat 7: Hero (20,340)
Seat 9: Villain (20,160)
Hero antes 75
Villain antes 75
Villain posts the small blind of 300
Hero posts the big blind of 600
The button is in seat #9
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Kh 9s]
Villain raises to 1,800
Hero calls 1,200
*** FLOP *** [2h 7d 9d]
Hero checks
Villain bets 18,285, and is all in

Hero ??????

What can i put her on..and whats the move?

This was about the 5th hand of headsup play. Neither of us have folded a hand HU preflop yet, and both have raised our button each time. First place gets a seat into the $500 buyin Wsop satellite, 2nd place got like $60.

thanks
Old 06-23-2006, 04:36 PM

Default Re: HU FullTilt Satelitte TPGK

flush draw tens+ open ended
Old 06-23-2006, 04:39 PM

I think villain's range is a lot wider than that - probably includes most of the following: A9, K9, Q9, J9, T9, 97, A7, maybe K7...obviously very player dependent but there really are a lot of possibilities.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:43 PM

This crazy kind of bet rarely is a bluff. I could believe a semi-bluff with 2 diamonds, given that you checked the flop, but I'm not willing to stake my tournament life on it (especially with one seat available). I'm guessing she has a pair of tens or jacks, and, since it's really winner-take-all, she saw an all-in gamble as worth a chance. I would lay this down.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:43 PM

I hate it, but I'd fold. You have a healthy stack, and almost no information about this hand except that your opponent is willing to stick it all in with that board. Sure, your TPGK might be good, but you'd be sick to call and have him turn over a pair of 10s. Though it may be more "standard" to try and extract chips from you with smaller bets, there are people out there who would make this play with an overpair, hoping you hit the board somehow and are willing to call this bet (which otherwise looks like air or at best a semi-bluff).

You've still got a decent amount of time to play and figure out what he's doing before hanging your WSOP entry on top pair.

--TFGoose
Old 06-23-2006, 04:44 PM

I don't think a hand that wants a call is pushing here, unless you've given off the image of a calling station. I see this move all the time at full tables, and usually it means "I missed my AK." I call here, expecting to see a good hand that missed the flop, but a flush draw/straight draw is possible.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think a hand that wants a call is pushing here

[/ QUOTE ] I would agree if the stack sizes were about equal to the pot. Here the stack sizes are 10X the pot, and the overbet is crazy. In my experience, that means that the villian thinks his/her hand is good, but is worried that the turn or river might mess things up. So a pair of tens or a pair of jacks seems like the hand to me. She doesn't want to see an overcard or the 3rd flush card on the river or turn, so she pushes.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think a hand that wants a call is pushing here

[/ QUOTE ] I would agree if the stack sizes were about equal to the pot. Here the stack sizes are 10X the pot, and the overbet is crazy. In my experience, that means that the villian thinks his/her hand is good, but is worried that the turn or river might mess things up. So a pair of tens or a pair of jacks seems like the hand to me. She doesn't want to see an overcard or the 3rd flush card on the river or turn, so she pushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

JC, I like your reasoning, but you don't think a big draw makes this push? Maybe two big overcards and flush draw , or flush draw with str8 draw?

Someone mentioned possibility of 2 big overs such as AK, but against a competent opponent I don't think you'll ever see this w/o a big draw/overpair. I wouldn't think a set either.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:17 AM

Thanks for replies guys,

I did make the call, and she had QQ.

Live and learn.