Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 06:36 AM

Default 200-400 Ace to Cinco TD

200-400 Mixed Game

Ace to 5 TD up to bat.

I am in the bb with A, 2, 3, rag, rag.

A solid player raises and the button cold calls (O'Neal for those who know).

A little background info on the solid player, I had played with him a few days and hadn't seen him get out of line too many times if any at all. Also when he is running bad he seems to play cautiously, not value raising or value betting enough. At the time he was running slightly bad.

1st Draw:

I draw 2, solid player draws 1 and O'Neal draws 2.

Gin!!! I pull a 5 and 7.

I check, solid player bets, O'Neal raises, which means absolutely nothing usually, I 3 bet and solid player cold calls, O'Neal folds.

2nd Draw:

I stand pat and solid player stands PAT!!!

WTF!!!

So I check, solid player bets 400 and I call.

3rd Draw:

I break the 7 and he stands pat.

I draw a banana.

I check and he checks and I feel sick, he tables 7642A.

Is this just a standard case of position winning him the pot or my stupidity?

Opinions seemed to vary at the table.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Re: 200-400 Ace to Cinco TD

If his pat range doesn't include hands you beat then I don't think you have odds to call and break (remember your 6 is often not an out there, and he has to have at least one of your cards and more likely both). So you must fold.
If it does include even one (7542A) you're better off standing, and you have odds to call and stand (and call on the river) if he includes a second hand you beat (7543A). You also have equity from being tied, you might not even need him to have two hands you can beat. Your effective odds are 9:2, and you can win 2.5/9.

I am not an expert, caveat emptor.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:43 PM

jkinetic,

When he coldcalls rather than 4 betting the flop (with a player still to act behind him) he is showing big weakness or super huge strength. The play is to bet/fold the turn and if he just calls confidently value bet the river. He cannot have a 65 here, he either is a complete pussy with 74 or you are good if he doesn't pop you on the turn.

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-05-2007, 12:47 PM

I didn't work through the math in detail, but my intuition would be to agree with rchandra--- if you are getting the right odds to draw then you are probably better off patting. If you can't feel confident calling down then folding is preferable.

Let's see: you are beaten by 5432A, 6xxxx (5 hands), 7432A, tied with 7532A, but ahead of 7542A, 7543A, 75432. So even if you eliminate 76's, you are about 3.5/11 to be winning (2.1 to 1 odds). Drawing you are hoping to catch a 4 or a 6 (but sometimes the 6 is no good) so call it 4 or 5 live outs in 40 unknowns, odds of 9:1 or 8:1.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
200-400 Mixed Game

Ace to 5 TD up to bat.

I am in the bb with A, 2, 3, rag, rag.

A solid player raises and the button cold calls (O'Neal for those who know).

[/ QUOTE ]

1300 in the pot

[ QUOTE ]
A little background info on the solid player, I had played with him a few days and hadn't seen him get out of line too many times if any at all. Also when he is running bad he seems to play cautiously, not value raising or value betting enough. At the time he was running slightly bad.

1st Draw:

I draw 2, solid player draws 1 and O'Neal draws 2.

Gin!!! I pull a 5 and 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice draw, but not really gin--especially from up front, as we soon shall see...

[ QUOTE ]
I check, solid player bets, O'Neal raises, which means absolutely nothing usually, I 3 bet and solid player cold calls, O'Neal folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

2900 in pot

[ QUOTE ]
2nd Draw:

I stand pat and solid player stands PAT!!!

WTF!!!

So I check, solid player bets 400 and I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

His bet makes it 3300, so you're getting a little over 8:1.

[ QUOTE ]
3rd Draw:

I break the 7 and he stands pat.

I draw a banana.

I check and he checks and I feel sick, he tables 7642A.

Is this just a standard case of position winning him the pot or my stupidity?

Opinions seemed to vary at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

His position won the pot. I don't think you're stupid. But...

1. He drew to a 6 and played a 7. (He could have drawn to a 7 and hit a 6, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt.)

2. He raised btf. Why did he raise? To build a pot? To buy the button? I think the fact that O'neal was on the button has a lot to do with this, but I have to be honest and tell you that I don't know who O'neal is, but I bet SP knew and it affected his raise.

There are 15 hands that are 1-card draws to a 6 or better, and 2/3 of them have a 6 in them. If his plan is, indeed, to stand on a 7 or better, a 7 represents 1/3 of his hits, so he ends up with a 76xxx 2/3*1/3 = 2/9 of the time.

Could you have rapped pat on the end with your 75xxx on the end getting 8:1 on a hand you were 2:9 to beat? Maybe, but first you have to tell us...

What was your plan before the first draw? (What were you going to stand on/draw to in various situations? What were you going to do with o'neal?)

When SP drew one, what range did you put him on?

What did you think SP needed to hit on his first draw in order for him to stand pat?

Who is O'neal?
Old 09-05-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Who is O'neal?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is the guy in TT's avatar (spl?).
Old 09-05-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Who is O'neal?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is the guy in TT's avatar (spl?).

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, thx
Old 09-05-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it obvious what O'Niel was holding? I like his play.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:38 PM

I never see anyone slowplay/trap in 2-7. People also tend to play much more aggressively on small bet rounds so I'd expect him to 4bet everything that beats you and some that you beat here.

I wish I could say more but I'm really not familiar with how powerful your hand actually is here. It looks really good to me but I know it's a lot easier to make a good hand in A-5 than in 2-7 so perhaps your hand is much more marginal than I think.

I think I would just bet after you both pat and then check the river (or bet? this is another spot where I'm not sure how good your hand is and how good it needs to be to value bet). However it is possible that this idea is just being results oriented.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it obvious what O'Niel was holding? I like his play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your mancrush needs to end. If a guy is great 10% of the time and a fish 90% of the time, then he is a fish.

-DeathDonkey